2002 Liberty 3.7 Misfire issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnohe

Reaction score
I have read through a number of threads regarding misfires and P030x codes and haven't seen or come up with a solution that will help resolve our issues and am seeking advice on next steps.

We don't have a long history with the car, some some things are unknown. What we do know is:

Car has difficulty starting - usually cranks 10-20 seconds before it catches and usually needs a little gas to get it to catch. This will result in a plume of blue-gray smoke and a rather prominent gas smell.

Once running you can see and feel engine vibration. Not horrific, but also not the way Jeep designed it to run. It was also giving misfire codes.

The car was taken to a shop and they recommended replacing plugs. we replaced all 6 as well as the ignition coils, as they were very old and had minimal life on them. None of the plugs were not gassy, oily, or otherwise fouled - just worn. The car continues to have difficulty starting and continued to give misfire codes of 301, 303 & 305. Compression gauge were put on cyl 1, 3 & 5 (drivers side bank) and all 3 had good compression above 120-130. We also sprayed around the engine and manifold looking for vacuum leaks and none were present. We ran a can of seafoam through the tank and have just added a can of 44K.

Since the Seafoam, Its still hard to start, however, if the car is cold, it will run with no CEL locally, highway etc...Once hot and re-start it will throw a misfire code - sometimes only 301 & 305, sometimes 301, 303 & 305. It runs fine at rpm, but as soon as i come to a stop light and sit, the CEL will start blinking and the shudder is a lot more prevalent.

There are no other error codes I'm getting, so I have been hesitant to start replacing IAC, O2 sensors etc... but am running out of options. I also have not disassembled the fuel rail or started to replace or move around injectors. I find it hard to believe that 3 injectors are bad, and hoping the 44K will clean / clear out any gunk in the rail or injectors.

Car runs great at 2500rpm and 70mph. but as soon as I come to a light - its not a happy camper.

Thanks in advance for suggestions or comments.
dean

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, all one bank? How many miles on it? Wonder if the driver's side secondary timing chain jumped a tooth. Other guess would be O2 sensor issues, but seems like you'd get other codes.

I'm not a mechanic but this just struck me as odd that all on one bank. I'm sure others will be along soon to help.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could try a can of mopar combustion chamber cleaner.
Wouldn't hurt to switch one of the ignition coils with one from the other side to see whether the problem follows.

What plugs did you use?

dnohe

Reaction score
Car has 130K on it. All 6 ignition coils are new as well and the plugs are ZFR6F-11G as was indicated on the engine spec label.

cradthebad

Reaction score
Similar Issue and How I Fixed

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and just joined today. In particular because I have been dealing with a similar issue and wanted to spread how I fixed it hopefully to help someone else. I finally found the issue and fixed it today. Mine had a rough idle like yours and significant loss of power, also jerking when trying to accelerate, check engine light flashing. Had scan tool hooked up to it and throwing P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire, P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire, and P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire. I tested all coils with multimeter and all were fine. I changed all the plugs and still did not fix the issue. I tested all fuel injectors with multimeter and all were fine. I tested most of the emission system sensors and all were fine. I then checked for vacuum leaks and lo and behold the vacuum hose from the right (facing engine from front of vehicle) side of the air intake resonator to the head is split on both ends. From research on the net I believe this is called the head to resonator breather and is part of the crankcase ventilation, this may not even be a vacuum hose, I don't know. Regardless, all I did was take electrical tape and wrapped the hose on both ends to temporarily cover and seal off the split ends and then reinstalled to test and voila, she's fixed! There is also a head to resonator breather hose on the left as well that you might want to check especially if the one on the right is fine. Also my Jeep has about 115,000 miles on it so close to your mileage as well, wouldn't hurt to have a look. Pictures below...

Attachments

• GOPR0170.jpg
    GOPR0170.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 56
  • GOPR0172.jpg
    GOPR0172.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 54

dnohe

Reaction score
For follow-up..... After replacing Bank 1-1 O2 and the IAC, I'm still getting misfire codes. I'm still showing readings in the .8 on the new O2 sensor and fuel trim in the -30 range. I have a feeling that one or more of the injectors are leaking which is why I'm seeing a plume of blue smoke rich with gas smells upon cold start up and not getting any other codes besides 301, 303, 305 (and at times I only get 301). I tried the trick of turning the key to the on position, then starting, but it still takes many cranks to fire (cold) and longer than expected starting when hot. I'm using Torque and I dont think it supports Long term fuel trim, just instantaneous short term.

I will put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and turn the ignition to on - I think I will expect to see the fuel pressure bleed off if there is a leaky injector. If it looks like I'm dropping pressure, next step will be to pull the rail and look to see if any of the injectors or leaking on some newspaper.

It was also suggested to look at the compression of both sides of the engine and if one side has lower pressure than the other, it may be a sign of a slip in the timing. I recorded timing advances through ODB but not sure how to read them.

Any other thoughts??

Dean

dnohe

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - I have sprayed carb cleaner all around the engine and manifold and haven't discovered any vacuum leaks, but will keep looking.

Plus the fuel trim isn't representative of a vacuum leak, Its indicative of the engine running super-rich and trimming fuel way back to compensate.

Also interested in others that may have had misfire codes or leaking injectors and their experiences with starting or running

Thanks
Dean

dnohe

Reaction score
For closure sake - hopefully this will be my last post for a while. Injector #3 had a steady drip. Upon replacement, the car started right up (and continues to start right up) and the shudder I felt from constant misfires has smoothed out at idle, stoplights etc... No CELs

Thanks for all the support
dean

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for dnohe

dnohe, how did you diagnose #3 injector as having a steady drip? What diagnosis procedure did you use?

Angie Anziska

Reaction score
Jeep 3.7 low compression on right cylinder head

Good Morning

I had a leaking head gasket, so my husband took my heads off and took them to have a slight skim. We then put the heads back to find that the right bank (drivers side) had low compression. Did a test to check valves and they were leaking. Took heads off again had them done again and still have low compression on the right cylinder head. We have tried new lash adjusters and a different cam.

Is there anyone who can tell me what is going on with my car.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Angie, Welcome to the site but I would suggest that you start a new topic with the correct description.....you have posted at the end of an old thread that is now of no value!

Hope you guys in Cape Town are getting some decent rain at last!