2.5 inch kj lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpmorgan

Reaction score
Edit Tonycrd: This thread started out as a simple question (asked many times) and evolved into an explantion on about everything there is to know about lifting the KJ. Please read through it before asking this same question.

I am wanting to lift my kj, does anyone know a lift kit brand that is good... and if so how much and what kit is it?

Last edited by a moderator:

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
the kind that makes it higher...lol jk...i have no clue

jpmorgan

Reaction score
thanks cause somone just told me to do that... how much of a lift can i get with shocks

jpmorgan

Reaction score
i was just being short when i said shocks.... but with both how much of a lift could i get

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5" lift - what I'm doing

I can tell you what I'm doing for a 1.5-2.5" lift. First, I want to maintain steering and directional stability as much as possible to the original. I don't want a quick cheap solution to cause driveline/steering/braking problems. Here goes and it is taking me some time/money to get everything together. HD OME springs Fr/Rr plus OME shocks (can't seem to find the Rancho's). Will order from JBA. Second, need the extended bumpstops, again from JBA. Third, need new control arms, JBA 4.5. I don't want to take any chances with alignment and popping the stock UCA. Finally, my Liberty is 2007 so I need extended brakelines, again from JBA. This is going to take some time/$$$$ to get all this together, buy a bit each month. I plan to keep this Liberty for some time, so I'm spending a little more $$$$ to get it right the first time, and prevent secondary complications.

After the suspension lift come the skids and tow hooks, and after that a set of Duratrac tires.
Yes, a little bit of cash, but a lot less than a new JK or a Chevy Silverado SWB, which I had been considering at one time.

2003renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME 927 springs-front
Rancho RSX 17505 struts-front
OME 948 springs- rear
Rancho RSX 17004 shocks- rear

from my understanding, this combo only gives you 1.5 inches of lift, correct?

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll get more than the 1.5 OME states because of the application you use them in. If you have a stock KJ they say the 350lb coils are good for 1.5", therefore the 400lb coils will not be compressed as much and the jeep will be taller with HD coils. I know I never saw the 2.5- 3" ppl claim but i never saw the excessive sagging either.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's enough to throw 31" meats on instead of 28-29's that are on there stock. thats good enough for me...in the end with tires and the lift it gives you around 4 inches more than before...so it turns that 9.5" of clearance into 13.5" clearance...which is pretty decent. better than a stock JK

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what all y'all have against spacer lifts...i've been in a '98 Wrangler that had them, and it rode fine. it would seem to me, as long as you have longer shocks on to prevent preloading of the coil, there should be no reason why the ride would be any harsher, or for the coil to sag any faster. i'm under the impression that much of what is said here is opinion and not fact (myself included).

i just don't see why everybody goes out and knocks the spacer lift and wants to sell "one" lift to everyone on here, regardless of the needs of each individual.

personally, i'm going for new OME coils up front, but this brings me to another point. everyone says you need "longer shocks" with the new OME coils....yet you all state to run 17505's....have any of you compared the compressed/extended lengths of the 17505 to the factory struts? i'm guessing not, because according to all the documentation i've found, the 17505 is the EXACT same as the factory strut.

moving on......while i'm putting new coils up front, i'm planning to put spacers in the rear....which isn't any different than all of you who are putting 2, 3, maybe 4 isolators in.

sorry to vent...but i've been reading and learning, and while i truly appreciate educated input, it bothers me to see some posts that merely state "OME's are the ONLY way to lift", but don't bother to give explanation as to why other than "spacer lifts kill your coils," which from my perspective, both of those are unsupported statements.

if i'm wrong, please don't just state it, i would honestly appreciate some supported information as to why. for example, if several of you have measured the factory strut compared to the rancho and they aren't the same...great, but please share that...don't just say it isn't so. also, for any of you who are going to come out and say that spacer lifts ride harsher, can you first answer whether you put longer shocks on too?

i hope this doesn't come off as condescending...i just want to stir up some good discussion about this subject, as i am always eager to learn, and when i do my lift, i will most definitely 'fess up if it *****....lol.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
osu, TJs and KJs suspensions are set up completely different. Spacer on a KJ increases tension on the spring, which is where the Jeep gets its lift. A spacer on a TJ just raises the Jeep in relation to the spring, rather than putting more preload on it as it does in the KJ.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good posts Tony and Osu....actually cleared somethings up for me...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good JOB Tony!!!

Glad I don't have to go through all of the explaining anymore!!!
;);):D:D

Although it still amazes me that people come on and question what and why we do what we do when listing the best lifts. A lot of us have been on here for 5 or 6 years and have seen first hand what works and what doesn't. We don't suggest you buy OME for example due to getting paid by ARB to put it number one on the list! ( If so I could retire now)

I have seen 100's of people who went cheap and were upset due to us saying that was not the best way to go. 3 months later they are redoing their lifts to OME coils and saying "Man I wish I would of went to OMEs right off since they ride so much better!" Also I would not of wasted the money I did on a spacer lift!"

I got a SUPER deal on a ARB bumper back in 05 due to the previous owner having an OTT lift on his, with the weight of the ARB, plus a bad lift he blew out 3 front shocks in less than 10,000 miles. Finally gave up put it back to stock and sold it.

So to OSU

It is not opinions that we give, it is documented facts from over a period of several years, and 100s or rather thousands of people trying new and different things. What we suggest is what works the best, not what we are getting paid to say! We are a better resource than most any 4 Wheel Drive magazine out there, and well way better the than JP rag

Last edited:

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's enough to throw 31" meats on instead of 28-29's that are on there stock. thats good enough for me...in the end with tires and the lift it gives you around 4 inches more than before...so it turns that 9.5" of clearance into 13.5" clearance...which is pretty decent. better than a stock JK

On a IFS + IRS jeep sure maybe closer... Anything with a solid axle not so much. If you go from a 29 to a 31, thats a 2 inch increase. Because the axle is in the center of the wheel, the jeep will be 1 " higher and the tire will be 1 " taller in the wheel well.

And as far as the front struts. Yes because they're stock compression, extension, and length by lifting the jeep you limit extension. However by the same logic, unless using a spacer above the strut or within the strut bumpstops aren't needed with OME coils of ANY KIND. Because all of the OME coils were designed to be fully compressed within their lifecycle within a KJ strut. So if you had a CRD with a bumper and winch it'd squat the suspension to 1.5" about. Upon flex it would fully compress to OEM bumpstops because the strut was to 100% compression. If you took the same strut+ spring and tossed it on a 2wd, gas kj ( Lightest model) it would simply by higher in the travel of the strut but the assembly would still have the same max compression and extension. Happy suspension. I know this wasn't brought up but it shares the same thought and I'd love to hear factual comments on why front bumpstops are believed to be needed for the use of spring+ strut "insurance"

On spacer lifts.. go bumpstops.