1999 Cherokee Sport Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Libertee

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to pull the codes from a '99 Cherokee Sport? Without an OBDII reader, of course...:D

Thanks!
Patrick

Libertee

Reaction score
Yea, I know I can take it there. I just like to be able to bypass others and do my own diagnostics. I'll probably buy a scanner...

Thanks........:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yea, I know I can take it there. I just like to be able to bypass others and do my own diagnostics. I'll probably buy a scanner...

Highly recommended. They will pay for themselves the first time you go to use them, and can be had for as little as $50.

I've got one...havent had to use it on my Jeep just yet, but i've used it several times on friend's vehicles....little thing comes in quite handy!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do you know where the problem may be stemming from?

Highly recommended. They will pay for themselves the first time you go to use them, and can be had for as little as $50.

I've got one...havent had to use it on my Jeep just yet, but i've used it several times on friend's vehicles....little thing comes in quite handy!

What kind do you have?

2003KJ

Reaction score
What kind do you have?

Honestly I dont even know, it was a gift given to me. I'll look at it next time i'm out in the Jeep.

I've seen the sale ads from Northern and Harbor Freight....they run sales on them quite often...

Libertee

Reaction score
Molado Guy-

The Cherokee belongs to my wife (I have a Liberty). I'm not sure what the problem is. It seems to be running okay. I'll be going to Harbor Freight tomorrow and I'll see what they have. I was just hoping to find a way to retireve the codes without a scanner. A Google search didn't help.

Patrick

hunter819

Reaction score
Hi;

I bought a '99 Cherokee new and had it for over 9 years. It was a great Jeep! I just bought a Liberty because my wife and I hit some ice and then a tree a few weeks ago. (We're both OK thanks to the airbags!) The Jeep, however, was totaled. :(

I have done most of the repairs and maintenance for my Cherokee over the years. The only way I know of to read the codes on a '99 is with an ODBII reader. I believe after '97, the electronics changed and there are no tricks with turning the key or anything that will work like they did on the pre '97 years. My CEL was lit for almost a year. It was throwing an O2 sensor error. I replaced both sensors and it was still there. I think it had to do with the wiring but I never did figure it out. I had to have the codes read with an ODBII reader.

Good luck finding your problem and I hope this helps.

Hunter

Latest posts

Members online