180 degree thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i am wondering if running a 180 degree thermostat in my 2005 3.7l engine would mess with the computer bad enough to throw a error code, or otherwise screw up the engine or computer management in some other way? don't get me wrong, i like a good heater as much as anyone else. but i am not a big fan of running an engine as hot as possible in the name of squeezing every last drop of fuel economy, or chasing every last bit of emission ratings. i like a bit of a buffer in place for towing a trailer.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
so i am wondering if running a 180 degree thermostat in my 2005 3.7l engine would mess with the computer bad enough to throw a error code, or otherwise screw up the engine or computer management in some other way? don't get me wrong, i like a good heater as much as anyone else. but i am not a big fan of running an engine as hot as possible in the name of squeezing every last drop of fuel economy, or chasing every last bit of emission ratings. i like a bit of a buffer in place for towing a trailer.
Bad idea from the get go
Computer will not like that at all
Stick with a good MOPAR thermostat and forget about it
I;ve towed 1000s of miles and no issues at all
Longest trip with 6X10 enclosed fully loaded was from Northwest Ohio to Orlando, ......twice
Plus other trips to Boston etc
Never any issues

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the mechanical fan then I wouldnt worry about cooling capacity of the engine, worry about the transmission. Mine routinely gets near 230F when towing, which is too high for the little bit if towing I do. Never had the light come on though.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" If you have the mechanical fan then I wouldnt worry about cooling capacity of the engine, worry about the transmission. Mine routinely gets near 230F when towing, which is too high for the little bit if towing I do. Never had the light come on though. "

ok, that WAS going to be another worry, for another day. but, since YOU brought it up...... crawling around under mine, i noticed that it looks like the transmission cooler lines go into a stand alone oil cooler, rather than into the radiator like every other automatic transmission vehicle i have ever owned. which is fine by me, just different. i have 2 questions about this subject. 1) i noticed a little oil on one of the lines under the radiator. with 160,000+ miles on this, how concerned do i need to be about it? do these lines seep a bit as age creeps up, or is this impending doom just waiting for any little bump to cause it to rupture, spewing every drop of life giving blood (well, it LOOKS like blood) all over the road? and 2) where is the best place to install a transmission temperature sensor? into the pan, into one of the lines (via a T with hose barbs on each end? or is there a place just waiting for one to be installed, after removing a plug? im not a fan of depending on a light to save my vehicle from death. i want real data. a light is not a bad back up, but gauges are what needs to be there.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont believe you'll have a catastrophic failure on the cooler hoses. The crimps are most likely just seeping but without seeing it, its hard to tell.

Where to put a temp sensor is an endless discussion. You can argue any location and its not wrong. Personally I bought a new pan with a drain plug and also added a bung in the pan for a temp sensor. This is sortve an average temp as the highest temp will be the fluid going to the cooler. Some argue that if the temp of the fluid going to the cooler is high enough to cook the fluid, youre doing it wrong.... So monitoring the temp of the fluid going to the cooler is more important.

Some add a sensor in the pan, in the supply line to the cooler, and in the return line.... Thats a bit overkill.

Latest posts

Members online