17x7 inch chrome option, Who has these as what have you done to them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Jeep came with 17 x 7 (plastic?) jeep chrome wheels in 07, 235 65 17. Haven't seen anybody with same rims on here but I could have missed it. Looking for anybody thats tried painting, refinishing, and it actually looks good / stayed looking good. I'd even settle for they look great till i went mall crawling over curbs. Prep feedback of the surface would be cool too, as I'd really like it to look good for a touch up twice a year max.

Got a full winter to prep them as they won't see anymore snow after this week when i change over to my winters. I really couldn't be bother to polish them and as flat and dull looking as possible. Would prefer not to coat with heavy paint, adhesive, slurry, etc that can throw them off balance etc.

I'd love to buy the 16 inch rubicon wheels but shipping according to prices on allJ's would be more then the rims. I've got about 8 months to find some 16inch wheels that aren't steel and look decent or get creative with the 17s when i go for new rubber around July. Likely doing Firestone Destination AT's 245 70 17 unless I talk my self into the Duratracs.

I seriously don't understand what jeep was thinking with 17 inch and 65 series tires but I guess thats another topic that is likely :beatdeadhorse5:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote for powder coating 4 wheels is in the 300 to 400 dollar ballpark depending upon complications in the process. Tonnes of provisions about fixing pits, lifting of chrome in the blasting / curing process.

Basically well over half way to new wheels in a size that isn't 17 inch. Guess that's my answer as I can likely keep the highway tires for that purpose or sell them to someone less discriminating.

Besides, duratracs are $50 cheaper per tire here for 245/75/16 vs 245/70/17 so another 200 - 250 dollars is saved.

Budgeting FTL. I'm sure the GF will be as thrilled as I am that I'm looking at new rims after lifting the KJ last month. Least she likes how it rides now.

kev92gt

Reaction score
Can you just buy the plastic? Have same wheel with finish falling off of the wheel and looks like crap as the wife put it.lol.

Last edited: