12 kk overheating/limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jordan2k12

Reaction score
Hey, I have 2012 liberty 4wd that overheated on me and went into limp mode 2 weeks ago, I bought it not too long ago and have not had any temp issues up until now. Radiator was definitely busted after the jeep overheated. So far ive put a new rad in, backflushed the heater core and put in a new pump, hoses, thermostat and housing. Also ordered a new fan controller that looked iffy. Still need to do a flush with distilled water before adding in coolant I am just wondering if anyone experienced any sudden overheating issues? Also is there anything else I may have overlooked?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is probably unlikely that an overheating event can break your radiator, and more likely that a leaking radiator and low coolant led to the overheating event.
What was the Jeep doing when it overheated? City traffic, steep hills?

One other consideration is be sure not to use universal coolant when flushing and refilling. Our Jeeps require HOAT coolant, either Mopar or Zerex G-05. The green stuff will cause clumping and clogging in the coolant passages. If that was what was in there before, really flush it out well. Also replace the water pump as the wrong coolant can eat away the plastic impeller, making cooling less effective.

jordan2k12

Reaction score
Checked the coolant when I refilled the washer reservoir. It was still full, everything looked normal that day. It overheated sitting in traffic then went into limp mode. luckily it was less than a mile from my house, by the time i got it home the rad was literally just draining all over my driveway. i did put a new pump in yesterday with a metal impeller instead of the plastic.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If overheating in traffic it could have been a failing water pump impeller. It could also have been a failing thermostat. No white smoke in the exhaust or coolant in the oil or anything indicating a head gasket problem, right?

jordan2k12

Reaction score
No nothing indicated a head gasket issue, I was leaning towards the pump as well, but was wondering if improper fan speed could’ve played a part?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you turn on your AC at idle, it should click your E-fan on. If it doesn’t come on, then having no fan could totally cause an overheat in traffic. Then we would have to diagnose whether it’s a bad motor, bad connection, relay, etc.

jordan2k12

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here’s what the controller on the fan looks like

jordan2k12

Reaction score
I bought a new one from the dealer it was only 50 bucks didn’t trust the old one

DHBirren2

Reaction score
Also is there anything else I may have overlooked?

Perform a compression test on all cylinders as well as a pressure test on the cooling system.

Edit: Never mind -- I see you've already covered that.

Latest posts

Members online