1 Man Hitch Installation Without A Jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocknrun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick tip for a one man hitch installation.....installed a class III hitch (Curt) on my 04 KJ today; didn't have a trans jack or floor jack and no help. Ran a narrow cargo strap through the center hole of the driver's side of the hitch then up through the bolt hole and out another hole in the frame. Cranked it up, was easily able to hold the other side up while I bolted it in, then bolted the driver's side. Very quick and easy. My local tire store (independent dealer) wanted $189 for a hitch receiver and $55 to install. I got a receiver and a locking hitch pin for $151 from etrailer with free shipping. :gr_grin:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice little trick. I may use that when I get my fuel tank skid. I'll have to remove my hitch to install the skid and replace it afterwards.

Thanks for the tip

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres one that I did for the installation. Put it on cinderblocks and then use small pieces of wood to get it close enough to put the bolts through. Very simple and sturdy. And for the bolt that requires moving the exhaust, you can put the scissor jack between the gas tank and the pipe and extend it which pushes it out of your way instead of using boards and other prying methods.

rocknrun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres one that I did for the installation. Put it on cinderblocks and then use small pieces of wood to get it close enough to put the bolts through. Very simple and sturdy. And for the bolt that requires moving the exhaust, you can put the scissor jack between the gas tank and the pipe and extend it which pushes it out of your way instead of using boards and other prying methods.

Slipping that rubber shock off the exhaust pipe was the hardest part of the whole job; particularly getting it back on. Copious amounts of WD40 helped.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you didn't have a bad bolt like i did. One of my bolts had slag between the threads about a 1/4in in from the end of it. When I went to put it in it destory the threads inside the whole of the frame. I drove around for 5 hours to find a store with a tapping kits to i could correct the threads.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.