06 Liberty stuck in Part-time 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alyciadad

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to JeepKJ.com.

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty with Selec-Trac. Recently the bushing on the selector cable at the transfer case completely blew out. My father-in-law replaced the bushing with a MOPAR replacement. Now the shifter feels normal when I use it, and the indicator light on the dash is working properly.

When I got the Jeep back I shifted into Full-time 4wd just to try it out and this worked fine. I could tell it was in Full-time because turning was normal and you could feel the difference when accelerating (4 tires pulling instead of 2). When I pushed the lever back down to the 2wd position the Jeep got stuck in part-time 4wd. Clearly identifiable by the way it felt on dry pavement. I know better than to drive it in this condition so i parked it for the night.

When I woke up the next morning I tried to back out of the driveway and it was clearly still stuck in part-time so i parked it and took another vehicle to work. When I got home that afternoon I tried it again and it was in 2wd again. Just from sitting, it went back to 2wd. So I drove it and tried the same process again and now it is stuck in part-time again. It won't shift to 2wd and it won't shift to full-time.

My father-in-law is hoping that maybe it's just the bushing on the lever side of the selector cable, but I was trying to research the issue and wanted to see what you guys thought about this issue. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SeleTrac likes to be shifted in and out of Full Time frequently - keeps the clutches working properly.

The best way to get this transfer case to move back to 2WD and not get stuck in Part Time is to to hold a steady speed on the road, shift to Full Time, then let off the throttle then go back on the gas. Do that a couple of times.

When shifting from Full Time back to 2WD, follow the same procedure. Hold a steady speed then push the level down to 2WD. Let off the throttle, then press the throttle again. Do that a couple of times.

That process helps the clutches engage and disengage.

Like I said, because you have the Full Time SelecTrac transfer case you can run in Full Time any time you want - so shift it into Full Time about once a month to lube up the transfer case components. Also a good idea to change the fluid and replace with ATF+4 - an easy project that will keep things running smoothly and keep it ready when you need it this winter.

Bob

Last edited:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I think I remember this process from the booklet. While rolling slowly shift your automatic into neutral. While you're still coasting shift out of 4wd full time.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine did that once or twice too. Probably wasn't the best idea, but I drove it until it popped back into 2WD.

x2 on Bob's advice, I'd also recommend shifting into N before changing modes. It's only required for going in/out of 4LO but it seems to help even just going into full time.

alyciadad

Reaction score
Thanks for the Help!

Thanks so much for the advice! I went to a parking lot in a park near my house and tried what you said. it didn't work at first, but after doing it for a while, switching from 2wd to full-time and back, it started working. Before it started working i was slowly making a turn with it stuck in part-time while the shifter was on full-time. it made a bang almost like i hit a pot hole and then it was in full-time. Now when I go from 2wd to full-time it's working fine, but when I go from full-time back to 2wd it's still sticking. When I give it some gas (like maybe 2500-3000 rpm) it comes on out.

I guess since the bushing blew out last winter I obviously hadn't used it at all until I just got the bushing fixed last week. So it sounds like you guys are saying that from not using it it just got a little seized up and needed to be worked out a little. Is there anything more I can do to help free it up some more. I plan on changing the fluid in it some time next week.

Latest posts

Members online