06 jeep liberty Tailgate won't open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JunesGravity

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the thing. I replaced the handle last year and everything has been working great. For some reason, when I went to open the tailgate to grab something from the back it wouldn't open. I don't even hear that three click sound sequence that indidcates it's trying to open. There's nothing, as though it's still locked.

So I removed the door panel from the inside to try and open it manually but even that didn't work. I can see insideand that the hanlde is moving but the door won't open. Any ideas how to get it open so I can figure out what to do next?

KJownerX2

Reaction score
There is a small access panel on the passenger side of the rear door (its about 6in square) remove the cover. Reach inside and up, the door latch will be located there. Find either a red, white or yellow lever that will need to be moved down to unlatch the door. This lever is located next to the rod connection from the door handle.

Kingfish

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the thing. I replaced the handle last year and everything has been working great. For some reason, when I went to open the tailgate to grab something from the back it wouldn't open. I don't even hear that three click sound sequence that indidcates it's trying to open. There's nothing, as though it's still locked.

So I removed the door panel from the inside to try and open it manually but even that didn't work. I can see insideand that the hanlde is moving but the door won't open. Any ideas how to get it open so I can figure out what to do next?

I'm having the same issue with my wife's 03. The outer handle unlatches the glass but won't open the door. Were you able to fix the problem?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.