'06 2.8 CRD Engine/Power Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ylli

Reaction score
I live in a country where Jeeps are not common so finding a good mechanic is hard.

I'm having problems with my Jeep KJ, I'll try to explain them to the best of my abilities.

- My Jeep has no power, it's very hard to reach 100km/h.
- On idle the rpm move up and down 600 to 900. If I push the gas pedal and send the rpm to 2k-3k and let it go, very often the engine shuts off.
- Long crank every time I want to start the engine.
- When in idle I can fully squeeze the radiator hose and when I push the gas pedal the hose gets filled with air and I can't squeeze it anymore at all, until off gas and on idle again.
* I just replaced the fuel filter, also did a oil and filter change, and changed the air filter. I though the problem might be with the fuel filter but it's again the same issues.

Any help would be much appreciated as I bought this vehicle a month ago and really like it otherwise, but I'm thinking it might not be my best decision :(.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a blown head gasket. The long cranking and low power indicate a loss of compression and the inflation of the radiator hoses indicate leakage of combustion gas into the cooling system. It could also be a cracked head.

The engine is made by an Italian company named VM Motori. Look for a diesel shop that can recognise that name and you'll have a better chance of a successful repair. Have them replace the timing belt, tensioner, idlers, and water pump while they're working on it. ID Parts has parts for these engines.

Ylli

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a blown head gasket. The long cranking and low power indicate a loss of compression and the inflation of the radiator hoses indicate leakage of combustion gas into the cooling system. It could also be a cracked head.

The engine is made by an Italian company named VM Motori. Look for a diesel shop that can recognise that name and you'll have a better chance of a successful repair. Have them replace the timing belt, tensioner, idlers, and water pump while they're working on it. ID Parts has parts for these engines.
Thank you very much! I'll check these things out and hopefully it will be resolved.

Latest posts

Members online