06/03 3.7 engine swap throwing p0016 and p0344

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermsy

Reaction score
Howdy,
my dad had an engine swap done on his 2006 jeep liberty 3.7. Donor vehicle was a 2003 Jeep liberty.
He immediately started getting codes p0016 and p0344 and decided to just give me the vehicle instead of messing with it any further.
I've pulled the valve covers and lined up tdc and my timing is spot on.
Both cam and crank sensors are brand new mopars.
Wiring is fine.
I've done everything except run a labscope to check the voltage pattern - only because I don't have access to a labscope.
I know the cam reluctor wheels are different on the 2003 and it looks like it's still got the 03 reluctor running with the 2006 pcm.

I'm wondering what my options are.
Could I just pull a pcm out of a 2003 and plug and play in the 2006?
Would it be better to swap the reluctor wheel to the newer style - is the crank wheel different as well? (albeit way more work)

Any help or insights are appreciated.

Dealerships in the Fort Worth area aren't being any help because it's apparently old chrysler tech that no one uses anymore.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. For now I'll quickly add the code descriptions.
P0016 Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent
We have a few members here that are more familiar with the engine swap year issues, and hopefully can help with recommendations.

Jermsy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. For now I'll quickly add the code descriptions.
P0016 Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent
We have a few members here that are more familiar with the engine swap year issues, and hopefully can help with recommendations.
Thank you. I tried to be respectful and read any thread related to this issue before posting but couldn’t find anything definitive.

I was just going to slap a for sale sign on it but even running in limp mode it gets better gas mileage than my F150 and it’s been my daily driver for the last few weeks. I’d really like to get it running right and give it to my daughter for her first car.

Jermsy

Reaction score
Here’s a pic of the tone ring at 180 of tdc if it helps you see that it’s for real the old style

Attachments

• C6366597-C696-4CE6-9391-3A4893CE31B2.jpeg
    C6366597-C696-4CE6-9391-3A4893CE31B2.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 15

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First you CAN NOT pull the PCM out of the 03 and install on the 06 , changed everything
Plus read up on TwoBobs changing his engine
They changed things from 02-3 , in 04 and again in 05

Jermsy

Reaction score
First you CAN NOT pull the PCM out of the 03 and install on the 06 , changed everything
Plus read up on TwoBobs changing his engine
They changed things from 02-3 , in 04 and again in 05
Yeah I figured that out after I asked the question and saw the 03 is a 3 plug and 06 is a 4 plug pcm.

I’m driving and searching the forum for twobobs but I’m 4 pages deep and not seeing anything. If you have a link I’d really appreciate it. If not, I’m sure I can find it when I get home.

JeepinSteve

Reaction score
Here is the link from TwoBobsKJ

Jermsy

Reaction score
Thanks. His breakdown helps. I know it’s got the correct crank reluctor - it’s just the cam sprocket that’s wrong. I’m trying to find a way to pull the cam sprocket and swap it out without having to remove the entire front of the engine. I’ll be digging around on the forum for the next hour or two before it try jtj250s method from YouTube where he hammers a 1x4 between the chain guides until he got enough slack to pull the gear.

Dheming87

Reaction score
Howdy,
my dad had an engine swap done on his 2006 jeep liberty 3.7. Donor vehicle was a 2003 Jeep liberty.
He immediately started getting codes p0016 and p0344 and decided to just give me the vehicle instead of messing with it any further.
I've pulled the valve covers and lined up tdc and my timing is spot on.
Both cam and crank sensors are brand new mopars.
Wiring is fine.
I've done everything except run a labscope to check the voltage pattern - only because I don't have access to a labscope.
I know the cam reluctor wheels are different on the 2003 and it looks like it's still got the 03 reluctor running with the 2006 pcm.

I'm wondering what my options are.
Could I just pull a pcm out of a 2003 and plug and play in the 2006?
Would it be better to swap the reluctor wheel to the newer style - is the crank wheel different as well? (albeit way more work)

Any help or insights are appreciated.

Dealerships in the Fort Worth area aren't being any help because it's apparently old chrysler tech that no one uses anymore.
I had an 02 KJ and I put a motor (3.7)out of an 05 Dodge Ram, I had to tear down and change the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft and on the camshaft, it was a lot of work but it ran great after