05 Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

henisland

Reaction score
My 05 has 70,000 miles. The transmission has begun acting oddly. When cold, start engine and then it hesitates before backing. Need to accelerate to engage reverse. Changed filters and fluid, no change. Is this a torque converter problem or something else.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No expert here but may be electrical. These things have solenoids that control certain shift functions. I think the solenoids are activated by the shift selector and then the ****** shifts into the appropriate "direction". Mine is a bit slow to go into drive from reverse when its cold. Might be worth having a ****** shop scan it and see if they can find anything.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take it to a shop and have them read if the jeep has any pending codes or manufacture specific transmission codes.

craws

Reaction score
That is more than likely your front trans fluid pump is allowing fluid to drain back into the pan. This is a common problem. There is an updated pump design that addresses the problem. The bad news is that the transmission had to be dropped in order to replace the pump.
Transgo also sells a kit that is supposed to fix the issue with the original pump.

Buggydude65

Reaction score
I'm not the expert on this but I partially agree with craws. I don't know where the check valve is, but I've heard it is somewhere in the cooler return line. That check valve can become held-open with a tiny piece of junk and it allows the torque converter to drain back into the pan. Here's how to confirm this: park it on a level surface for several hours (overnight is better) Before you start it, pull the trans dipstick. Note the fluid level. Reinstall the dipstick. Start it and drive it until it is warm. Park it on a level surface. Leave it running. Pull the trans dipstick. Note the fluid level. If the first check shows a really high level and the second check shows a normal level then you probably have the fluid drainback happening.
The good news is that this isn't really a problem at all. Just start the thing, let it idle for about 15 seconds before shifting into gear and you won't have that delay problem.

By the way, mine has been doing this for the last year and I've had no problems with driveability, shifting, etc...