05 liberty engine coolant or 50/50

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jasonmfox55

Reaction score
Can I use straight hoat or does it have to be 50/50 and if so what is best for the engine using straight concentrate or 50/50

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual says 100% HOAT (Mopar). It protects your cooling systems so it must not be mixed with water.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tap water absolutely NOT...Distilled water is OK to mix in.
You can buy premixed 50-50 Hoat, Zerex G-05.
A complete fill of 100% Hoat would be too thick LOL.
In Florida 50-50 would be good, but here in Canada I am at aprox 65% Hoat 35 Distilled as this gives me protection to -50.
BTW Hoat lasts 5 years and should be flushed out then.
The dealership at a reasonable price has the recirculating machine, job done right, no mess to deal with.
Not a bad idea to replace the lower rad hose and install a new Mopar thermostat as that also good preventative maintenance, with flush.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the concentrate is a better deal, and dilute with distilled water. Then if any top offs are needed (settles after the repair etc) I just pour the concentrate in so I'm probably like 60/40 HOAT/Water.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What? No, do not put pure HOAT in your cooling system.

50/50 will most likely cover the majority of the US. If youre worried, do 70/30. Im not 100% up on HOAT, but pure ethylene Glycol freezes at like 0F. Pure antifreeze doesn't cool very well either. Water cools much better than Antifreeze.

Gotcha be careful about what you post on the forums.

Jasonmfox55

Reaction score
Alright thank you I'll run 70/30. I have just water in temp right now because I have a head gasket leak and bought the green restore kit and used that for now ..my next worry is if I drain it it'll take the filler and overheat again

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright thank you I'll run 70/30. I have just water in temp right now because I have a head gasket leak and bought the green restore kit and used that for now ..my next worry is if I drain it it'll take the filler and overheat again

I'd get that stuff right away, no matter what it says it will gum up everything. Tough to do but bite the bullet and repair it the right way before it cost you way more

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the op is in florida 50 50 is fine and very easy to mix without a gycol tester.

as for the rest of the world, i'm running 60 40 and its off the scale of my tester and the coldest I typically deal with is -40. Nothing wrong with 70 30 either.