'05 KJ Driving Me NUTS...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here is the full story...

'05 KJ Sport, pretty base model, started saying Door on the Odometer. We went through all the door ajar switch wiring. Unplugged the connectors from the BCM and put a meter from the door ajar sense wires for each of the four doors to ground, door open continuity, door closed no continuity, just like they should be for all four doors. When you open the rear glass it says Glass, and when you open the rear gate it says Gate. And we checked that wiring as well, again no issues.

Today we swapped the BCM just to see if the issues resolved or changed. No change, still says Door all the time with all the doors closed. But here is the odd thing, it only says Door when the key is in the ignition and turned on or running. When there is no key in the ignition opening and closing the drivers side door lights up the Odometer showing the mileage like i am used to, and it goes back off when the door is closed, so again its seeing the door signal change.

The dome lights go on and off now, discovered the LED bulbs that were put in place of the stock incandescent were the issue for them not going completely off when the door was closed and the vehicle was locked. They just sorta dimmed, but regular bulbs work fine.

So any suggestions from anyone about the Door message? What happens is it says Door and so it won't lock the doors when you get up to speed, i think its something like 15-20mph, it just dings and gets angry when you reach that speed because it apparently thinks a door is open. Again we probed the door ajar sense wires and even removed the contacts from the BCM plugs totally disabling the door ajar switches and it still shows Door. We have noticed that sometimes going over a bump the Door message will randomly disappear then come back. So i checked all the grounds under the dash and everyone i could find thats tied to the interior fuse panel, BCM, dash cluster, etc. They were all cleaned, reinstalled, and checked for continuity to the negative battery post, all the grounds look great.

The only other clue i have is my son, who owns this '05 KJ, said that one night coming home from work the dash just went completely dead for a few seconds then came back, all the gauges going back to where they should be. It hasn't done it again since and i can't replicate it, pushing on the dash cluster, beating on the dash, trying to see if something is loose etc, but i haven't been able to duplicate it. Could be it be the dash cluster itself going loopy and thinking it should display Door?

Is there any grounding connections behind the dash cluster? Or is there any known problem with connections to the dash cluster? I tried searching the forums but haven't found much where someone had to fix or replace a dash cluster because of goofy messages or going out and coming back on.

The only thing i can think of doing now is digging in and removing the dash cluster, inspecting the wiring behind it and connected to it, and maybe take it apart and look closer at the connector on it. I had a Dodge minivan years ago that had the issue where the soldering joints on the connector pins on the back of the cluster were bad and a quick resoldering fixed that, but i am not seeing that anywhere as something the KJ suffers from.

So suggestions? Info? Ideas? We are going nuts after months of trying to fix this, the shops are clueless, they connect a scanner to it and everything is fine, no codes, everything communicates, etc. It's not an intermittent problem though as the Door message is stuck there day in and day out, but nobody seems to know the cause!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I presume that you have inspected the harness coming out of the door and entering the cabin? This harness gets flexed a lot.

There is always a good chance of this harness chaffing on something causing shorts to chassis or breaks or shorts to other nearby wiring.
Maybe you need to pull a new harness from a Breaker yard or make up your own harness as a temp measure.

As far as the cluster is concerned check the connector for bad crimps etc. but it could be a problem with the Communication Bus going to the cluster having the Bus corrupted elsewhere. You would expect an error code showing up for this though.

I will have a look through the wiring diagrams as regards the door open problem and see if I can come up with any more suggestions!

I am battling to navigate this new-in-process site so cannot find your earlier posts...is this a Gasser or a CRD? Reason I ask is that the CRD has a Front Control Module located in the engine bay near the battery and left front fender. All the Busses, PCI, SCSI, CAN etc. pass through this module which does not contain any drivers. Water, mud, snow, salt etc. can cause problems on its connector. If yours is a Gasser then do not worry about this module!

OK found your original post...no mention of this being a gasser or CRD...need this info in any case to be able to go through the wiring diagrams properly!

There are two grounds for the cluster, G202 and G111. The Ground Locations section in the 8W section will hopefully show you where these grounds are located. The door ajar switches go to ground G300 through various splices and connectors.

The wiring diagrams I have....section 8W....shows the wiring for "LHD Except Base" but they do not show diagrams for "Base".....your KJ being a Sport model does that mean it is a Base? What would the differences be between a Base and a non-Base model be as regards the door lock operations? I ask this because I have an Export 2.5 CRD Sport which is considered to be a Base model here but has all the normal electrical door locking/unlocking functions. When you swapped out the BCM was it from a 2005 Base model?

If you read sections 8b and 8j on the cluster operation you will see that it is normal for the "Door" warning to only come on when the ECM/PCM senses that the Jeep is moving and a door is open. The ECM/PCM probably tells the BCM to post the warning message over the PCI Bus...White/Violet wire which goes all over the place!

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a gas, BCM was swapped from another '05 with the same part number and the same features. When the dealer ran the VIN they called it a Sport Base, basically it's a base or a limited, well it's not a limited so I guess they call it base.

We have checked all the wiring and verified it all from end to end of the harness with an ohm meter. When the door is open the door ajar sense wire gets grounded, so my first thought was that the wire was shorted to ground on one of the doors somewhere, but checking the door ajar wires they are never grounded unless the door is actually open, the switches work, the state of the wire changes. I even took four meters on the four wires and monitored all four of them at once. It does it whether or not the vehicle is in motion, the vehicle doesn't even need to be running, just turn the key on and it starts alternating between door and the mileage.

I've verified all the wiring, all the ground points, everything that's associated with the BCM and dash cluster. I've taken all four doors apart and pulled the wiring apart verified everything and put it back together.

The only thing I can think now is maybe a dealer can put a scan tool on it and see which door it thinks is open and go from there? Though that will lead to another dead end checking wiring I've checked ten times now.

I pulled the dash cluster out tonight, the connector going into it seemed loose, I pushed on it and swear I heard a light click, my guess is that about a year ago a shop replaced some of the dash bulbs and didn't seat it in all the way. It didn't fix the door message, but maybe that will fix the random dash shutting off problem.

So I'm stuck, I don't know what else to check.

As for multiple threads, the forum app on my phone wouldn't let me get back to the other threads to post, so apologies for starting another thread but I haven't had time to get to a computer.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went through all the wiring yet again, disabled all the door ajar inputs at the BCM by removing the contacts from the plugs for the four doors. Still says Door on odometer when the key is turned on. Used a pin probe to ground to reach in and ground each door ajar sense pin on the BCM one at a time, no changes. Turned the key off, when grounding the Drivers door ajar sense pin on the BCM the Odometer lights up and the dome lights come on, unground it and the odometer goes off and the dome lights go off. Dome lights work with the doors as they should, odometer lights up when the drivers door is opened as normal. Put the key in and turn it on and you get Door on the odometer display regardless of the door ajar wires state.

Disconnected the Gate ajar sense wire, no change. Disconnected the Glass ajar sense wire, no change.

Looking at the wiring diagrams in the FSM the BCM is the only component that interacts with the door ajar sense wires. From that point on the BCM tells the dash cluster over the BUS to display the ajar messages. So thinking it was the BCM i have now tried two BCM's, same result. Disconnected all the door ajar sense wires, same result. Checked all grounds according the FSM wiring diagrams, any ground going to the BCM, fuse panel, dash cluster, doors, door switches, every ground has been removed, cleaned and reinstalled and checked for continuity to the negative battery post, all good.

Still shows Door...

Called a Dealership Friday they said they can "look at it" but that they would test the same things i tested and most likely spit it back out as unable to repair or unable to diagnose. Great customer service. Had a long talk with another shop, they said replace the BCM and check the door ajar switches to make sure they aren't showing continuity to ground when the door is closed, i already did that, they don't.

Anyone else have some other guesses whats wrong here before i go light it on fire in a ditch? This thing is possesed because of this problem and driving it is an utter nightmare, dinging, door locks trying to lock and unlock, its totally confused because it thinks a door is open when driving down the road so it just constantly nags you.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok further testing because i'm pissed level 20 now...

Went out pulled connector C1 from the BCM, got my pinning tools out and removed the following wires...

Pin 4 Left Front Door Ajar Switch Sense
Pin 5 Right Front Door Ajar Switch Sense
Pin 22 Right Rear Door Ajar Switch Sense

Plugged C1 back in, the pulled C2 and removed the following wires....

Pin 3 Left Rear Door Ajar Switch Sense

Plugged C2 back in and put the key in and turned it on..

STILL SAYS DOOR ON THE DISPLAY.... WTF...

So i went back to C1 and removed the following....

Pin 7 Tailgate Ajar Switch Sense

Plugged C1 back in, turned on the key, same thing, DOOR on the display. All the doors are disconnected at the BCM, so even if there was a bad wire somewhere between the BCM and the doors it can't possibly know it, as they are all disconnected.

Then i made a mistake that shed some interesting light on this... I went to unplug C1 and untape the removed wires, i folded them back and insulated them all from each other and anything they could touch for testing, and i got a phone call. I got done with the phone call forgot where i was and turned on the ignition switch and no Door message, thought i must have finally found the problem, until i realized i just forgot to plug C1 back in....

So i plugged C1 back in, with all those wires still removed, and the Door message came back with the key on... GRRRRRR....

But then i thought ok lets try unplugged C2 and see if the same thing happens. Nope, the Door message is there whether C2 is plugged in or not, but if C1 is unplugged then the Door message goes away. But i have all the door ajar sense wires removed from the friggin connector. So why would it think a door is open with C1 plugged in and all the door ajar sense wires removed from the connector???? Anyone got a suggestion?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Might not be super helpful but I've had the gauges go blank and it's always been due to a bad connection on the battery. And when my battery gets low (like after a hard winch pull) or has a bad battery connection, mine will say "door" in the odometer spot which it never does (displays in EVIC). So maybe there is some correlation between a bad connection at the battery and random door messages. I'm guessing you've already look at that though.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCI line going into the Cluster activates the warning lights and the message display in the Odometer display region. This PCI bus is probably OK or many other functions would not work but there is a driver behind the odometer display that could be decoding the PCI messages incorrectly....only fix is to replace the cluster so try find one to swap over and see what happens.

Hoosier could have a point....check the supply voltages going to the BCM and the PCM and the grounds to these units.

Last edited:

KJownerX2

Reaction score
KBOnly,
checking to see if you fixed the door ajar issue? You are the only one I have found to have the exact same problem as me. I have done all of the same as you except changing the BCM. I am purchasing a new scanner to help in the diagnosis and will let you know what I find.

Latest posts

Members online