05 grand cherokee 3.7 & 05 liberty 3.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 liberty 3.7 that needs an engine . I found a low mileage 3.7 engine out of an 05 grand cherokee . I have done a lot of reading & it is my understanding that they are basically the same engine . The compatibility chart says the cherokee engine is not compatible with the liberty . Does anyone know why ?
If it's just an exhaust manifold or intake manifold or something similar that's different I can work around that . Any & all help with this will be greatly appreciated .

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 liberty 3.7 that needs an engine . I found a low mileage 3.7 engine out of an 05 grand cherokee . I have done a lot of reading & it is my understanding that they are basically the same engine . The compatibility chart says the cherokee engine is not compatible with the liberty . Does anyone know why ?
If it's just an exhaust manifold or intake manifold or something similar that's different I can work around that . Any & all help with this will be greatly appreciated .

Yep, you can use the 3.7 out of the GC.

You'll need to swap the intake and exhaust manifolds, the oil pan, accessories (A/C, alternator, power steering pump, belt tensioner) and probably the oil filter drain neck. Other than that it's a bolt-up, ready-to-go job. The long block is the same. :waytogo:

Bob

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks , Since I posted I found the oil pans had different part #'s then had to go do something else & hadn't had a chance to dig deeper .

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found a jeep parts website & they list the same part #'s for the two engines for the exhaust manifolds & intake manifold & different part #'s for the oil pan .

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found a jeep parts website & they list the same part #'s for the two engines for the exhaust manifolds & intake manifold & different part #'s for the oil pan .

Compare the exhaust manifolds when you get the engines side-by-side. I'm always in favor of using the original parts to the vehicle if only to insure everything goes back together easily. Getting the Y-pipe connected back to the manifolds can be one of the trickier steps in an engine swap in these vehicles :waytogo:

You'll definitely need a KJ vs. GC oil pan. And check your original pan - if it's like most it has some rust on it but a replacement is pretty cheap.

Bob

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob , just relating what I found on that parts website . Nothing replaces knowing what one knows after actually doing things yourself .
According to that site the heads , crankshaft , serpentine belt & tensioner , alternator & timing cover are also the same . So far I've found , according to them , the oil pan & ac compressor are different .
I'm convinced you're right & I can use the engine by swapping whatever parts I need to off my old engine . Thanks again .

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random question: would he run 5w20 or 5w30 in this? The GC is spec'd to run on 5w20 and the Liberty 5w30.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think I'll need to change the computer will I ? Aren't the reluctor ring on the crank & tone ring / gear on the cam the same since they're both 2005 models ?

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think I'll need to change the computer will I ? Aren't the reluctor ring on the crank & tone ring / gear on the cam the same since they're both 2005 models ?

Yes, they share the same tone ring and reluctor rings so no need for the Cherokee computer. I don't believe he knows what hes talking about IMO :ROFLJest:

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks , according to my parts website the cam gears are the same for both , the site doesn't list the reluctor ring but crankshaft #'s for both engines are the same . I imagine the crankshaft comes with the reluctor ring .

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they share the same tone ring and reluctor rings so no need for the Cherokee computer. I don't believe he knows what hes talking about IMO :ROFLJest:

Just noticed his profile states his age as 14. If that's the case then my bad and great effort. :icon_lol:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks , according to my parts website the cam gears are the same for both , the site doesn't list the reluctor ring but crankshaft #'s for both engines are the same . I imagine the crankshaft comes with the reluctor ring .

Correct, crankshaft comes with ring

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also just noticed his age , kudos for trying to help . Hang in there & keep reading & learning .

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, the cam and crank rings will be compatible with the NGC computer which is the computer used with 3.7/4.7/5.7 engines beginning with the '05 model year.

No need to do anything internally on the engine - just swap out necessary components on the outside :waytogo:

Bob

Latest posts

Members online