04 liberty no start help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian2005

Reaction score
Working on an 04 liberty 3.7l. Had to have a break line repaired, the guy removed the battery and tray, fixed the break line, reinstalled battery tray and battery. The Jeep ran great before, now it won’t start. Here is why I have done.

Pulled the coil off the #1 plug, put a spare plug in and cranked it over and I do have spark.

Checked fuel pressure and have 60 psi.

Check all fuses and they check out good. There are 2 in fuse box inside numbers 15 and 30 are good. And in Pdc #26 is good.

Swapped the asd relay with one beside it and still won’t start

Got a can of staring fluid, pulled the air duct off and gave it a shot, it started but died immediately. Tried again and I gave a few short bursts as it ran and it will run, just not with out it.

So I have determined the injectors are not fireing. Everything else works as it should. Except that when I hooked my scanner to it it won’t connect.

This is a friends jeep, he lives bout 20 miles from me, I took my noid lights to him at work and told him to use the noid light to see if indeed the injectors are not getting signal. I have not checked for power to to injectors as I did not have time. I know the pcm controls the ground to the injector and it should have constant power to it. Is there a ground that the other guy could have unhooked and just overlooked on reassembly? I didn’t see any security lights or anything.
Sorry for the long post but wanted to be as thorough as I could be here. Thanks for any help you may be able to give. Brian

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
If starter fluid works it has to be fuel related, but how does one go in for a brake line repair, only to have a no start condition? Scratch Head!
There is an electrical connection at the battery tray for the battery temperature sensor. I am not sure if this may electrically play a role or not.
It sounds like you are on the right track for diagnostics.

Brian2005

Reaction score
He check the signal with noid light, no signal. We are working a lot of overtime now but he said when he gets time he will change cam sensor. Can’t help but think the no signal and it not connecting to code reader is related. If I get a chance I’ll run over check for ground unhooked, and check out the wires going to fuel injectors for power to the injector.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try remove the ASD Relay and jumper female pins 30 and 87 together inside the empty socket. Pin 30 should have +12 volts on it at all times but maybe the ASD Relay coil is not energizing.
Unfortunately I do not have Service Manuals for the 2004 models..hard to find unless you are prepared to pay for it...I have the 2003 manuals which I think should be close enough.