'04 Liberty (Manual ******) Hard Shifting - FIXED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z00KA

Reaction score
It took awhile with lots of research time, but I finally "pulled the trigger"; ordered a clutch kit from GripForce Clutches ($102 shipped!) and me and a friend rolled up our sleeves and got after it. He used to be a GMC mechanic and he has a ton of tools; a floor jack and jack stands. We put her up on stands, and disconnected a "ton" of stuff to get to the transmission and got it pulled back far enough to remove the old clutch and found the "throw-out" bearing fairly worn, but the "pilot bushing" was completely gone except for the outer casing. This was causing the sqeaking and the hard shifting.

When you have all that "stuff" removed from under your Jeep, you wonder if you did the right thing; and pray that it all goes back together...AND WORKS!

It took 3 days of working in the Kansas heat (outside on his driveway), mainly 3 to 4 hours a day, taking our time and discussing procedures, options, etc., and I'm happy to report that the test drive proved SUCCESSFUL! The Liberty shifts smoothly and no squeaking!

Hats off the GripForce Clutch for their quality product, shipped quickly. The "kit" included:

Brand new Gripforce standard Pressure Plate
Brand new Gripforce standard Clutch Disc (10-1/2", 10 spline)
Brand new Gripforce standard Release Bearing
Brand new Gripforce standard Pilot Bushing
Brand new Alignment Tool
Installation Guide

By doing the clutch kit replacement ourselves, I saved approximately $300-$500 as quoted by 4 different shops to include 1 dealership.

Obviously I owe my friend a huge thank you, and now I'm thinking of a way to compensate him for his time and tools...maybe a Harbor Freight Tools gift certificate.

Glad to have my Liberty back on the road...

Joe Blanchard

05kj6spd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure he appreciates the thank you. Glad to see people still help each other out and appreciate each other.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it done. It's steak lobster and beer bbq time....haha

Dave

Latest posts

Members online