04 KJ Driving me insane !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

verado350

Reaction score
Hi all, im a new KJ owner based in the UK. I got the KJ in on PX for a boat I had in the brokerage. I thought it was a good deal but the car soon came with its problems, most are sorted but the most annoying and still existent one is a chirping coming from around the belts.

Its intermittent, only chirps every 5/6 seconds. It also chirps a little bit when I turn the car off. Any help regarding this would be much appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

Damien.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, im a new KJ owner based in the UK. I got the KJ in on PX for a boat I had in the brokerage. I thought it was a good deal but the car soon came with its problems, most are sorted but the most annoying and still existent one is a chirping coming from around the belts.

Its intermittent, only chirps every 5/6 seconds. It also chirps a little bit when I turn the car off. Any help regarding this would be much appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

Damien.

After you turn the truck off? Do you have an aftermarket alarm, perhaps?

verado350

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the speedy replies.

The chirp is noticeable as the engine is turning off, not when its completely off so that rules out alarms etc, the noise is defiantly coming from the drive belt area. And yes im running the 2.8 diesel engine.

@NCjeepin

I had a Verado running on a 6.9 meter Saver 690. We are the main mercury/mariner dealer and service centre for our area so deal with the Verado's quite often !

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, was imagining it going for a while after the engine had come to a complete stop.

ms5490renegade: Nice avatar. Brock's visage is on the back of my Jeep.

verado350

Reaction score
Ive just noticed another noise.

I rarely used the 4X4 drive but i engaged it today and theres all sorts of clunking noises coming from underneath the car !?

So far its just one thing after another !

:(

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ive just noticed another noise.

I rarely used the 4X4 drive but i engaged it today and theres all sorts of clunking noises coming from underneath the car !?

So far its just one thing after another !

:(

That's normal....just the 4wd engaging.....:)

verado350

Reaction score
Hmm, if that was the case id be pretty happy but it keeps clunking as im driving along and mostly when turning corners. Is sounds like what i can only describe as someone smashing two cooking pots together all the time !

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, sounds like you need to check the front drive shaft. The boots over the cv joints are bad for cracking and such which lets dirt into the joint. Check the boot at the tcase and the boot close to the diff. Grab the drive shaft and move it around to check for play in the joint. If you try to turn the drive shaft slack is normal.

For the chirp, did you check the belt or the tensioner? I dont know as much about those diesels as the gasser but cant that heater kick on to warm the engine up? Could of been that or the A/C kicking on causing the belt to chirp.