03 Renegade Cruise Control not working, could this hose be the cause?

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by GitEmSteveDave, Nov 22, 2018.

1. GitEmSteveDave

GitEmSteveDave Full Access Member

So I went to drive to my family in Central NJ today, and was excited to pour some fuel treatment in and set the Cruise Control at 70-75 and let it do it's magic. But I turned it on, the cluster light came on, but it would not maintain speed, no matter how many times I hit SET or any other button.

I googled it and found a post here about checking the cable near the throttle body. In between courses I went out and checked the cable. It was still connected, but there was a TON of play in the cable. I could pull it and hear the cable moving and traced it to what I now know through googling is the CC module:
    [​IMG]

I looked at it closer and found this broken line:
    [​IMG]
    which is hollow, so I'm assuming it's meant to hold either air/vaccum or fluid and is directly connected to the module shown above.

So if that is a vacuum line, could this be why my CC is not working? Could it also explain the hissing noise coming from my brake booster occasionally? Is it a item able to be bought alone? I'm gonna go to my mechanic tomorrow, because this broke line is directly above a bolt that holds in the UCA, which was done in July, and I also recently had to re-attach and secure the heater core lines. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

2" piece of vacuum hose and 30 seconds to repair.

Why spend all that time and effort for a 30 second repair?

3. GitEmSteveDave

So you think that this is the cause of my CC problems?

4. uss2defiant

uss2defiant Full Access Member

The cruise control module(?) is right there. The device the hose goes to, to the left in the picture.

I get that brake hiss when it's super cold out but it should be unrelated to the cruise control.

5. GitEmSteveDave

Brought it to the mechanic today. He said his guys might have hit the line while trying to break the UCA bolt. He slid a piece of flexible hose over the crack, and 1-2 minutes after I started driving, the cruise control was back in commission. Total time was 5 minutes, most of which was him finding a piece of hose.