03 liberty sporty 3.7l 4x4 leaking coolant

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by chris d lippold, Jun 27, 2019.

1. chris d lippold

chris d lippold New Member

When i got the truck i was told about a bad coolant leak. The water pump was bad and the coolant reservoir was broken and leaking so i replaced them and now i still have a leak somewhere on the driverside of the motor. I can't actually see the leak, but when the car is running i can see The smoke from where the coolant is hitting the exhaust. Here's a picture. Where is the coolant coming from? The smoke is only visible at the top of the exhaust manifold

Attached Files:

2. kejobe

kejobe Full Access Member

Best thing is to rent a coolant pressure tester from Autozone or such. Pressurize the system and look for the leak. Offhand, I can't think of what it could be, unless where the upper rad hoes connects to the motor is leaking and spraying the coolant onto the manifold. I'd have to go out and look to see what is around that area to leak but my Jeeps not here at the moment. If I remember I'll check later.

3. chris d lippold

I thought of that but i just had the upper house burst on me and i replaced it. It looks like, and I'm dreading that it could be, the head gasket... . There is no coolant in the oil soo that's good and everything runs fine. When the read hose burst it was giving me some misfire codes, i think because the coolant pressure washed three coils. Lol. But i reset the computer by disconnecting negative terminal for a few minutes and the p0300, p0302, and p0304 codes cleared and haven't came back yet. In the picture you can't see the smoke but it's coming from just behind that heat shield on the exhaust

4. kejobe

kejobe Full Access Member

If it's coming from behind the heat shield, are you sure it's coolant? Could be oil seeping down from the valve cover. Just a thought.

5. chris d lippold

Im im 100 % sure

6. GitEmSteveDave

GitEmSteveDave Full Access Member

Can you add dye and pick up a UV light from Harbor Freight? They have a 3 AAA cell UV light I used to detect my initial rad leak w/o dye.

7. chris d lippold

I'll probably try that, hopefully it's ok till i can.