03 libby limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codad

Reaction score
I recently purchased a low mileage 03 that's in good shape. I want to lift it roughly 2.5 to 3 inches but can't afford a full blown suspension lift. I'm looking to get a spacer lift. I've been looking at rocky road, rough country and the day star one but I am open to suggestions. Only thing I don't like on the daystar one is that it looks like it requires me to take apart the front struts and I currently cannot do that or even have someone else do it. I'm trying to find something that will allow me to run 265/70/16's. Thanks in advance for the suggestions

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a low mileage 03 that's in good shape. I want to lift it roughly 2.5 to 3 inches but can't afford a full blown suspension lift. I'm looking to get a spacer lift. I've been looking at rocky road, rough country and the day star one but I am open to suggestions. Only thing I don't like on the daystar one is that it looks like it requires me to take apart the front struts and I currently cannot do that or even have someone else do it. I'm trying to find something that will allow me to run 265/70/16's. Thanks in advance for the suggestions

No no and NO
Rocky Road is junk and Daystar is right behind it
Think about this for a moment your springs and shocks I bet are stock so they are 15 years old and sagged at least an inch to begin with
You do not want to even think about any spacer lift at all, please read up .
First thing you can do for me is measure, park on a level surface go to the left front, measure from middle of wheel to the lower edge of the flare and report back
Few years back I bought my 03, had 78,000 miles and sagged almost 1. 5 inches ( one owner , elderly, never abused/never offroad)

Codad

Reaction score
from the center cap on the left front to the bottom of the flare is roughly 18 inches

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
from the center cap on the left front to the bottom of the flare is roughly 18 inches

So your springs are already sagged an inch , worn out springs , worn out shocks
So you need both , so do it right ( with OME springs and at least bilstein shocks) which is cheaper in the long run
Doing it cheap is expensive

Codad

Reaction score
which ome springs and bilstein shocks for the size lift that I'm wanting? To be honest i'm not even sure what all I would need to purchase if I don't get a spacer kit. If you could help with say a parts list that would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
which ome springs and bilstein shocks for the size lift that I'm wanting? To be honest i'm not even sure what all I would need to purchase if I don't get a spacer kit. If you could help with say a parts list that would be greatly appreciated

I run 265-70-16s on the 03, with 2.5 inches of lift, works good with pinch weld pounded over , also running 8 inch wide wheels with 5 inches of backspacing
But I'll list what you need with both 2.5 and 3 inches

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just upgraded from a cheaper lift to OME springs and Bilstein shocks. Well I don't have Bilsteins on the rear yet, but that's another story. So far the new lift looks and rides so much better. It is well worth the money if you plan on keeping your liberty.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

For the front;
OME 927 springs 167.20 a pair at jeepinbyal
Bilstein front shocks( use the ones it calls for for stock ) 98.00 each
Teraflex bumpstops 22.99 each at JBA
For the rear;
OME 948s same 167.20 a pair
rear shocks Bilstein 33-185859 (shockwarehouse) 105.21 each
2 hockey pucks per side bolted down to the lower spring pad

NOW that gives you 2.5 inches,
if you think you want three inches;
Add Spacer/top plates ( JBA ) 27.95 pair in front
Add one extra upper isolater per side in the rear

have a suspension/ alignment shop compress your springs for you

Willkk75

Reaction score
Bilstein question

I have been reading through these posts for a long time trying to understand the best way to lift my 05 Liberty when the time is right. I realize that you are the man to pose any questions to Tom. I have begun to order parts for my 2.5" lift.

But, I just noticed that you listed 33-185859 for the rear Bilsteins. Through my research I decided on 24-185240 Bilsteins. Can you tell me the difference and if the JBA bushing kit is required for both?

Thanks in advance.

Codad

Reaction score
For the front;
OME 927 springs 167.20 a pair at jeepinbyal
Bilstein front shocks( use the ones it calls for for stock ) 98.00 each
Teraflex bumpstops 22.99 each at JBA
For the rear;
OME 948s same 167.20 a pair
rear shocks Bilstein 33-185859 (shockwarehouse) 105.21 each
2 hockey pucks per side bolted down to the lower spring pad

NOW that gives you 2.5 inches,
if you think you want three inches;
Add Spacer/top plates ( JBA ) 27.95 pair in front
Add one extra upper isolater per side in the rear

have a suspension/ alignment shop compress your springs for you

I greatly appreciate it tom, but is there anyway to get the price down some? Also what do you do with the 4 hockey pucks?

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still running stock springs & struts. With the Teraflex 2" I was already battling bad upper control arm angles front and rear... front not alignable; rear eating bushings. Had to get corrected UCAs and the JBA tri-link extension to fix those. Moved things up an extra inch or so since then. Currently 22-1/2" hub to flare.

Tom and I often do not agree on things. :mwah1:

Codad

Reaction score
my other question is can I reuse the top and bottom strut mounts on the front and the spring Isolators on the front and rear?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate it tom, but is there anyway to get the price down some? Also what do you do with the 4 hockey pucks?

If you want a lift that rides great, handles great and lasts a long time then no there is no cheaper alternative. Been doing suspensions since early 1970s, lots of lifts over the years on all kinds of 4x4s, and over 56, well counting the ones on my own say 60 KJ lifts. I will not install spacer style lifts since I want friends/ family and customers happy when they leave here. I would rather see someone not lift than have the issues associated with spacer lifts .
For me I want a good ride on and off road, and something that last, so thats why I run a fully adjustable coilover lift that you can adjust compression and rebound on all 4 shocks. Fronts are adjustable height wise as well.
I priced out Bilsteins for you which are just a tad cheaper than the OME shocks.
The hockey pucks serve as bumpstops in the rear, cheaper alternative and all I use. Buy by the box fulls

Last edited:

Codad

Reaction score
ok, I think I'm gonna go the way you suggested seeing as its not that much more than a spacer kit and replacement oem struts that I need anyway. I believe I'm gonna buy parts here and there as I have the extra cash until I have all that parts. I'm still not 100% sure on how you mount the pucks on the rear

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, I think I'm gonna go the way you suggested seeing as its not that much more than a spacer kit and replacement oem struts that I need anyway. I believe I'm gonna buy parts here and there as I have the extra cash until I have all that parts. I'm still not 100% sure on how you mount the pucks on the rear

BOLTED DOWN to lower spring perch , had that right in the list
by saying bolted down, that means that you drill a hole in the lower spring perch right in the center, use a 3/8 inch bolt( 2.25-2.5 inches long ) and bolt it down still leaving the stock one in place
Install them AFTER spring install

As far as buying parts here and there
99% of OME springs are all about the same price, they(ARB) sets the pricing so go to JBA www.jeepinbyal.com for springs, and front bumpstops
Shocks I use www.shockwarehouse.com that way if any issues they both are easy to deal with
I never go efaly, amazon etc

Inearly 05 few months after buying the 04 KJ I started buying OME springs, front one pay, rear next pay etc. LOL
of course the 03 I had lift, wheels etc before I even found it to buy which was hard since had been out of work for a while.

Last edited:

Codad

Reaction score
Tom I was looking at those ome springs for the front and rear, they both say it's just a 1.5 inch lift

Codad

Reaction score
also why get the Bilstein 33-185859 Rear 4600 Heavy Duty instead of the BILSTEIN - Heavy Duty 2.5" Lift Rear Shock

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom I was looking at those ome springs for the front and rear, they both say it's just a 1.5 inch lift

Yes as we have all known for years it says that due to insurance regulations/ laws in Australia, they only allow so much, BUT they give you 2.5 inches. Thats why we say 2.5 with the 927/948 combo