'03 KJ Lift help!

Discussion in 'Lift Kit Discussion' started by RedrazSC, Feb 9, 2019.

1. RedrazSC

RedrazSC New Member

Bought a 03 jeep liberty and I want to lift it to either 2.5 or 3 inch. Please help. The wheel size I will be going with is 16x7. What will be my max tire size I can go? I also will be putting a new front bumper on with a winch.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

for 2.5 inches
    OME 790 front springs,( since going aftermarket bumper and winch ) teraflex bumpstops either OME or Bilstien front shocks
    rear 948 springs either OME 132L or Bilstein shocks for a 99-04 Dakota club cab 4x4 with 2 hockey pucks per side bolted down to lower spring perch
    Wheels 16X7 with 4 inches of backspacing with 245-75-16 tires ( will lose mileage and power best to run 4.10 gearing but ...)

3. RedrazSC

RedrazSC New Member

What if I don't change the gearing to a 4.10 right way. What is the loss?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  4. JasonJ

JasonJ Full Access Member

I think most of your posts to these sorts of questions could really just be saved in a text file on your pc or phone, copy/paste as needed! lol.

5. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

SOMEDAY, been saying this for 12-14 years
    need a standardized chart listing everything out
    of course that is how JBA started the tommudd eco lift from what I always posted
    Then he changed it around and ..................:blah:

6. u2slow

u2slow Full Access Member

Relatively minor if your KJ has a manual trans... because you decide your own shift points. Many miles were put on before I switched from stock 3.54 to 3.73... and that was because we got a spare KJ to swap parts with. The extra few rpm at a given road speed are welcome, but not a necessity.

JBA/Bilstein/OME wasn't in my budget. (Weak Canadian $ plus shipping gets wild). Did things differently. 245/75R16 is a nice all-round tire size. Good fit, and doesn't seem to incur extra wear n tear on the Jeep.

7. RedrazSC

RedrazSC New Member

My trans is automatic. I use this as my daily.

8. wheeee32

wheeee32 Full Access Member

When you go to the 245 size tire you'll notice a loss in power in mileage. When cruising on a flat stretch of highway for a long distance it is fine. However, the difference with 4:10's and the 3:73's is night/day once you've driven both. I didn't actually know how much difference it made until the day I got on the go pedal after some break-in miles.

9. JasonJ

JasonJ Full Access Member

Moving from the stock 235 tires to 245-70 16's was noticeable for me.. perhaps it was the extra weight of the new tires too.. but it definitely felt slower to go. Over time, you get used to it and your throttle foot compensates a bit, and it feels like the new "normal".

Thankfully, I'm usually easy on the pedal anyhow, so if I need to go, I can still get her to scoot. Going to 265s I imagine would be similar.. but the losses greater.