03 KJ Air in power steering, no leak, no power

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by Steven Renich, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:45 AM.

1. Steven Renich

Steven Renich New Member

I have an 03 KJ 3.7 project

I just replaced the engine and a leaky power steering pressure side hose. The pump and hose were disconnected and sitting in the garage for a couple of months while I messed with the engine.

When I put everything back together, I tried to burp the power steering and I can't get the air out. I put the front end up and turned the wheel (per the Jeep manual). I also used a vacuum pump. The fluid level doesn't drop and there are no leaks, but there are always more bubbles. And there is no power assist.

I also pressure tested the system with a hand pump. No leaks found.

I could replace the pump with a reman unit, or I could replace the reservoir o-ring and the return line. The return line on the original is integral to the cooler, but that assembly is pricey. Can I just cut the hose crimps and replace the hoses?

Any suggestions would be helpful particularly in diagnosis before I start throwing parts at it.

2. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Definitely sounds like air is still entering the system somewhere. When front wheels were off the ground, did you try lock to lock like 25 times?
    Are you using ATF+4 in the PS unit?
    I wouldn't be cutting the return line hose.

3. Steven Renich

Steven Renich New Member

Oops - I just noticed that I posted this in the KK General Discussion, It should be in the KJ forum. Sorry.

I tried lock to lock many more than 25 times. I am using power steering fluid.

From the Jeep manual "CAUTION: Use MOPAR Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. Do not use automatic transmission fluid
    and do not overfill."

I would really like to figure out where the air is getting in.

4. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

No worries, moved now to KJ Gen Discussion.
    I think the next move is to install a new pump.

5. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021 at 9:49 AM