'03 2.4 burning oil..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

auburn4193

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '03 2.4 has been burning oil. I have noticed it after I changed the oil in it when I first got it. I haven't been writing down how much and how often but I will start. I change the oil every 3,500 miles and I know I use at least 1 quart in between. It really ****** me off because it currently has 89k and I have had all my maintenance done on it. I use Valvoline Max-Life 5w-30. I don't want to change weights because it isn't recommended and I really doubt changing a brand of oil is going to do anything. I don't believe it is leaking because I have never noticed an oil stain under where it's parked or underneath the chassis.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
change over to Castrol High Milage
my brothers work truck has 190K on it
and it will burn 2+ quarts on standard Dino oil every 3K
less than 1 on this stuff

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to start an argument but I would personally stick to the recommended oil and check it more regularly. At that mileage you can excuse it for using a bit. I am not a fan of these "high mileage" oils etc as they are just thicker. The downside is that they don't get to where they should as quickly hence causing more wear!
Just my opinion.
See what others recommend. :smokin:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to start an argument but I would personally stick to the recommended oil and check it more regularly. At that mileage you can excuse it for using a bit. I am not a fan of these "high mileage" oils etc as they are just thicker. The downside is that they don't get to where they should as quickly hence causing more wear!
Just my opinion.
See what others recommend. :smokin:

really? cause more wear?
so at 150K it is drinking oil
make a switch
40K later and it is burning less than at 150K:shrug:

oh and it should be burning 1/4 a cup or less at 90K

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '03 2.4 has been burning oil. I have noticed it after I changed the oil in it when I first got it. I haven't been writing down how much and how often but I will start. I change the oil every 3,500 miles and I know I use at least 1 quart in between. It really ****** me off because it currently has 89k and I have had all my maintenance done on it. I use Valvoline Max-Life 5w-30. I don't want to change weights because it isn't recommended and I really doubt changing a brand of oil is going to do anything. I don't believe it is leaking because I have never noticed an oil stain under where it's parked or underneath the chassis.
Bad valve seals/giudes are the issue most likely.Not a concern until it starts using 2qts or more per 1000miles.Should be checking the oil at least once a week anyways.

Oh and you can use 10w-30 oil as long as the temps are about freezing in your KJ,states it in the owners manual.I would try 4qts of what ever oil,a very good filter(a must,Mobil1,Purulator,or WIX only),and 1qt of Lucas oil stabilzer(that stuff actually works).

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Tjkj is right on with this. One reason why you let that valve train warm up before you drive it and if it sets for along time start it up at lease once a week and let it warm up good. O and I would change my oil every 3 months or 3000 miles.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 quart in 3500 miles is nothing to be worried about!

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really? cause more wear?
so at 150K it is drinking oil
make a switch
40K later and it is burning less than at 150K:shrug:

oh and it should be burning 1/4 a cup or less at 90K

Yes it will cause more wear cos the oil is thicker and will take longer to get up to the top of the engine thus leaving the parts drier for longer, thats why multigrade was invented. If you don't want your engine to use any oil at all stick some gear oil in it!

So much for "not starting an argument" :shrug:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
On higher mileage engines,TJKJ stated, parts wear and stem seals/rings are no longer new. This allows some oil to pass & burn in combustion chamber.
A compression test will advise on engine condition.
Fact- most engine wear takes place at start up, especially if vehicle has been sitting for a while without starting. Using a quality additive like the Lucas Oil stabilizer helps coats parts reducing friction, and reduces wear at start up. This is good, recommended!
In my V-8 sedan with hydraulic valve noise, both Lucas & STP works to reduce consumption and protects vital parts. This immediately will offer additional protection not offered by conventional oils, and make the valve train quiet.
For the KJ for cleaning & flow properties, I would try a 50 percent blend of Synthetic and Conventional oil and use a quart of Lucas. Then monitor your oil consumption before & After....

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it will cause more wear cos the oil is thicker and will take longer to get up to the top of the engine thus leaving the parts drier for longer, thats why multigrade was invented. If you don't want your engine to use any oil at all stick some gear oil in it!

So much for "not starting an argument" :shrug:

I am going to guess you have never opened an engine before?
I know that the 5.0 V8 my brother ,the 2nd brother, had in the garage
for a year still had enough oil on the cylinder walls to make them slick
all he used was mobile 1
motor sat for 6 months
knowing that and knowing that the oil pressure will build from 0-40 or so psi
in about 1 second the wear from this is minimal
but yeah I am sure using thicker oil will cause problems:happy175:
even if it is still labeled 5W20 or 5W30:happy175:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to guess you have never opened an engine before?
I know that the 5.0 V8 my brother ,the 2nd brother, had in the garage
for a year still had enough oil on the cylinder walls to make them slick
all he used was mobile 1
motor sat for 6 months
knowing that and knowing that the oil pressure will build from 0-40 or so psi
in about 1 second the wear from this is minimal
but yeah I am sure using thicker oil will cause problems:happy175:
even if it is still labeled 5W20 or 5W30:happy175:

You guessed wrong then. I was a technician for 15 years so yes i have seen inside one or two engines. And if you put thicker oil in you will get even higher pressure. You ever tried blowing a golfball through a hose pipe? Needs loads of pressure but still doesn't get to the other end.
And why do you let your brother live in the garage? :happy175:

auburn4193

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Alabama, so 5w-30 is a must. I averaging about 300 miles in a week so I never have to worry about going over 3 months. I drive it daily and my next oil change I think I will change it to Valvoline Conventional instead of High Mileage and see what it does. I only use WIX filters in it as well.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Alabama, so 5w-30 is a must. I averaging about 300 miles in a week so I never have to worry about going over 3 months. I drive it daily and my next oil change I think I will change it to Valvoline Conventional instead of High Mileage and see what it does. I only use WIX filters in it as well.

Yes just check your oil regularly. Only takes a minute and could end up saving you thousands of dollars. We live in a society where the more reliable something is, the less you think about it, so don't ever become complacent. Hehe. And every time I see the word Alabama I think of my favourite band Lynyrd Skynyrd. Went to see them last year while they were doing their European "God and Guns" tour. Unbelievable!! Brilliant band who have had the worst luck ever and still going. Long may they continue! :smokin: