02 auto transmission conversion to manual trans possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 liberty and I hate driving it because I dont have a manual transmission!!! I grew up shifting gears and now im stuck with a computer doin it for me.. id love to swap the ****** with a manual 02 liberty transmission but im not sure if the drive shafts, transfer case, ect, will all match up smoothly. Im wanting to do this in my garage and dont know if it's possible, has anyone else out there done this or something similar?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been done, but in the end it seems like it would be cheaper to sell your current liberty and buy one with the manual transmission.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bummer, oh well, would be cool to have some day. but i guess im stuck not shifting gears for the time being.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
bummer, oh well, would be cool to have some day. but i guess im stuck not shifting gears for the time being.

You can make it happen if it is something you really want. I am sure there is one around somewhere that someone is ready to sell. Keep looking. Much, much better and way cheaper than trying to switch trannies.

Dave

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you did want to do the swap, you would need a new transmission, clutch pedal, new driveshafts, new transfer case, new transmission support member, then you would need programming to tell the jeeps computer it now has a manual.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it only took me 13 months to find mine...

eta: there's 4 near me for sale.

Last edited: