02 3.7 No start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
I have an 02 with the 3.7 and it isn’t starting all of a sudden. I drove it last monday (nov 18) just fine and when I went to drive it yesterday it wouldn’t start. It takes a bit to start cranking and when it does it doesn’t start. If I hit the gas pedal a time or two it will turn over and run but when I take my foot of the gas it dies. After it dies I can smell a burning smell. I wanted to see if I had any other codes other than the P0420 that I know I have but I wasn’t able to get the codes by turning the key to “ON” 3 times like I’ve done many times in the past. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
See what happens if you remove and gently clean the IAC with throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush. Scrubbing off the carbon fixed this problem in an old XJ I had.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Iac cleaning could help but if it is cranking slow the battery may need a jump or a tricke charger applied.
Make sure the battery contacts are also clean and tight.
Cold weather effects cranking power.
A load test is always a good idea, any battery shop should be able to.tell if the battery is good or not.
Get the codes read by a good scanner if you can and post the stored codes back.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
Update... I cleaned off the IAC and it still doesn’t start and it wouldn’t start even with a jump. The battery voltage looks to be around 10 Volts. I also noticed that the headlights are quite dim and the horn when locking the truck is sounding weird so I’m kind of leaning towards it needing a new battery.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the battery.
With engine OFF the voltage across the battery should be about 12.5 volts.

While cranking the voltage should not drop below about 10 volts.

While running...the voltage should be about 13.4 volts.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
Another update. I tried to start my Libby again today while using a pry bar to tap the starter and all I got from that was a rapid clicking sound. Does that mean that the starter is bad or the battery is just too weak to make the starter turn?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
At 10 volts that is low, and cranking power is probably limited now.
Charging it overnight may bring it back but only a load test will determine if it's good or not.
Time for a new battery ? 800 CCA, or greater would be best.
Also AGM batteries will perform better and not offer corrosion to terminals as agm batteries are sealed.
Clicking of the solenoid is a sign of not enough cranking power along with dim lights.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
The lights are also dim and there is a small amount of corrosion on one of the terminals. I have no way of charging the battery to see if that helps. I really only have access to basic hand tools and such that I have at home.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Remove any terminal corrosion.
Ensure terminals are on tight.
Can you try a jump start from another vehicle?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If the battery is really flat it can take 15 minutes of Jump power charging while donor vehicle is running, then try to make it start/happen.
The jump battery can it be removed and then connected to the KJ?

KJGremlin

Reaction score
I will try and see if I can get it going using another car to charge the dead Libby battery. Also I’ll see if a battery from another vehicle will work in the Libby to see if it will start with a different battery.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
So after using another car to jump charge my Libby it cranks and will only turn over and start when I step on the accelerator and dies immediately when I release the accelerator. It also had blue exhaust and an almost burnt oil kind of smell to it. It has been almost 3 weeks since it last was driven.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue oil smoke is a sign of blow by or internal worn engine components.
Time for a compression test on all 6 cylinders.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
If the Libby won’t even crank with being on a jumper for a while should I start with replacing the battery and see if it will actually start?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes a new battery would be a good place to "start"
Group 34/78 750CCA (cold cranking Amp) or better would be great..
AGM or Absorb glass matt batteries are a bit more money. but well worth it.
You must be registered for see images attach

The Best Virgin lead AGM is an Odyssey & will last 10-12 years, but way more $! PC-1500 34/78 DT
That is what I roll with, still strong at 10 years.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
Perfect. I’ll look into getting a new battery over the weekend. Thanks for all the help.