02-03 camber bolts alignment issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on both the 02 and the 03, I ran into an issue that I cannot confirm on my own. Without looking at another liberty , researching gives me conflicting info.
Background - had my 03 camber bolts cut out and new lower arms installed. I provided the bolts from Mopar outlet. The bolts did not have a flat side to them. The bolts had the adjustment washer under the bolt head as one piece.
The shop who swapped them out aligned it for me too.

Here’s the issue.

On the chassis for the 03 - there is a metal camber guide for the bolt head ONLY. There is not one for the nut side.

I’m currently working on my 2002 and doing the work myself and guess what - both ends have the camber guide. And the bolts I cut off the 2002 have camber washers installed on the head of the bolt and separate washer for behind the nut.

I cannot confirm the shop who worked on the 03 removed bolts that were like my 2002 and have a flat side and uses 2 washers. I also cannot confirm they didn’t just pry off the camber index plate on the chassis on the nut side.

Can I not use the nut-end washer and still get alignment like the 03?

Hopefully this makes sense to someone - thanks !

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check my 03, but I know I only have the indexing plate on the outsides of the LCA bolts.. where the oblong adjustment lobe is.

I'd have to assume there is a washer under the nut on the other side, but whether there is or not should not stop you from anything- really that's more a factor of how long is the bolt and is there enough thread sticking out for the thickness of a washer and the nut.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Indexing plates on one side only
front bolts have a flange nut
rears have regular nut with washer
That is on my 03, ( going from memory ) will check the 04 -05 later today
I have about 20-25 alignment bolts and just checked about 12-14 of them and all have flange nuts can go through and check the rest later today
( after paying almost 40 bucks for one years ago for a buddys KJ I started collecting them ) LOL

Oh and you only need the " camber index " on one side ( inside front and rear ) to adjust everything, no need for both sides

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pictures now.
The 2002 must be completely different then the later years.

Ok so here is the 2002 bolt and end washer (behind nut)
Keep in mind the bolt head also has the cam washer welded to it but since the new bolt is completely round and no flat side , I cannot reuse the nut side cam washer
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the index guide on the 2002. Notice the sway bar

This shows it’s on both ends as well

And

So I’m at the point now where I’m ask - can I get away without having to have cam washers on both ends like the 2003?
Or do I really need to spend another $100 on bolts and these are non-returnable ?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
use them
same as 03 and up
as long as they are aligned and tight, good to go

I have both styles in my collection
maybe I should paint the 02s gold or something LOL

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick stop at the junkyard confirms the 02 uses a cam washer with the nut and has cam index plates for both the bolt head and nut.
Also the bolts are flat on one side.

Thanks Tom
Apparently the 02 bolts are a golden ticket. I still can’t find any but will be using the round bolts like I did with the 03

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick stop at the junkyard confirms the 02 uses a cam washer with the nut and has cam index plates for both the bolt head and nut.
Also the bolts are flat on one side.

Thanks Tom
Apparently the 02 bolts are a golden ticket. I still can’t find any but will be using the round bolts like I did with the 03

How bad were the old ones to get out? Three of my four are siezed... I'm concerned heating them with a torch will destroy the bushings.. I'd like to just get them out and new ones in...

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not hard. Just time consuming. You have to cut both ends inside. I used 6” torch blades I think 14 TPI? I went through 6 blades. I didn’t have a angle grinder big enough to fit a 6” cut off disc in there.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not hard. Just time consuming. You have to cut both ends inside. I used 6” torch blades I think 14 TPI? I went through 6 blades. I didn’t have a angle grinder big enough to fit a 6” cut off disc in there.

Ah you mean cut the bolt on either side of the control arm bushing, inside the pocket?

I'd probably get a good sawzall blade and use my reciprocating saw on that... My cut off wheel tool is pneumatic (compressor has a hard time keeping up), but only a 3"...

I have oxy-acetylene torches... but that seems too easy to accidentally torch the mounting pocket too.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Exactly. I used my sawzall. I use the torch blades as they didn’t bend as easily

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Exactly. I used my sawzall. I use the torch blades as they didn’t bend as easily

I need to get that done... my camber is just a smidge out of spec and can't be adjusted... it rolls and rides great but I'd like it all in the green.

Now I have to wonder if it's best to just get new LCA's with balljoints, new bolts and do it all new at once.. or just new balljoints and bolts, and hope my bushings dont get damaged.

Tom, you had extra camber bolts? How much per you sellin' those for bud?!

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the Detroit axle LCAs off eBay cause why not. It’s $120 shipped with 2 “free” ball joints. I use moog ball joints K3199
I did this for both jeeps.
Also I did the moog tie rod ends cause I had a warranty.
I sold the ball joints on Craig’s for $20 each cause I do off road and don’t want any issues. I’m really glad this is all done. It’s just consuming when you have to do everything twice cause you own 2 jeeps lol

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
talked with dealership today. Said they discontinued the camber washer that goes behind the nut.
So what I’m thinking is starting in 03 they no longer used the indexed bolt and 2nd washer and switched it all over to a round bolt.
That would explain why the 03+ do not have camber guides on both ends of the mounting points.

So if anyone has 02 hardware it’s discontinued and going forward we all use the same bolt and nut. No 2nd cam washer.

Members online

No members online now.