‘02 upper control arm replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m replacing the upper ball joint on the ‘02 4x4 without antilock brakes. How is this task done?? I broke down and watched a YouTube video but mine is obviously different. The front bolt won’t come out since the hard brake line is in the way. I was able to move the top line enough to get the bolt loose but to remove it it looks like I’d have to disconnect the brake line to move it enough to sneak the bolt out. I can’t believe you’d have to do that but I see no other option.
How does the rear bolt come loose as well. The steering shaft is in the way so I can’t get a socket on it even. There’s not much room for a wrench to turn either. Above it is the master cylinder and all the hard brake lines to that so a long wrench or a cheater bar won’t work.
How do I do this?? From the videos I watched the ‘02 looks different

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look inside the wheel well, there's a bolt that holds the brake line in place. If you remove that bolt, it should give you a little bit more wiggle room, and you won't have to disconnect the brake line.

As for the rear bolt, just use a couple of wobble extensions and snake them around the lines and steering shaft.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What he said above, it's very easy, right side 10-15 minutes, left side 20 tops to remove and replace
and since you can not replace the UBJ are you going with JBA ones or back to stock style

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the front, I’ll give that a try. I hadn’t thought of that. For the back though, I don’t think I can get a deep socket onto it to attach a wobbler to. I can’t see it through the front either. It’s an early pre-lowered ‘02. Could it be different from other years or even later 02’s. It’s just weird there’s no room for anything. I figured it would be a quick job but it’s proving otherwise.

I have replacement stock Mopar parts to use.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replied to you over on jeepforum too. But it is as stated above. It looks challenging but I just did this a few months ago on my 2002. You can do it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For the front, I’ll give that a try. I hadn’t thought of that. For the back though, I don’t think I can get a deep socket onto it to attach a wobbler to. I can’t see it through the front either. It’s an early pre-lowered ‘02. Could it be different from other years or even later 02’s. It’s just weird there’s no room for anything. I figured it would be a quick job but it’s proving otherwise.

I have replacement stock Mopar parts to use.
Not any difference in years , well pretty much all the same, may take a bit of wiggling but you can reach them just fine

I've installed JBA UCAs on every year from 02-07, with CRDs and 07s the hardest but still doable