Big day for Me and My KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Pictures and Story to follow. It seems I got ahead of myself in starting this thread and forgot I need to make dinner! Check back in a few hours.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Ok So..... I'm finally gonna take some vacation time in two weeks. For anyone who knows Michigan. We are going to up to Lake Ann by Traverse City. We are taking 2 kayaks and two bikes. Only problem is I didn't have any cross bars on the roof to hold the kayaks. So today I fabricated my own. Went to the local hardware store and picked up 2 48" aluminum squared tubbing. 2 6 foot pieces of pipe insulation. 2 PVC pipe flex couplings. 4 u-bolts and (my favorite thing about doing projects) I got to buy a new set of metal drill bits. One thing I found out today is that the roof rack on the KJ is not perfectly parallel. After measuring and centering my holes. I slipped the pipe insulation over the tubing, cut the couplings in half and then slit a line down the center. Wrapped the coupling around the rack, put the u-bolt around the coupling and through the holes in the tubing. Tightened down the nuts and whayla.
You must be registered for see images attach

I now have cross bars that are padded and can hold at least one kayak.
The next part of my story is equally exciting to me. Last week KJBoone sold me his Tow Hooks after getting into an accident and mashing up the front end of his Libby. sad2.gif
So I also installed these today.

The only bummer is that he still had his brush-guard attached so the m-bolt and clip got destroyed. So I had to go buy bolts (also from the hardware store), take the grill and bumper off. If you have an 02 and have had to do this you know how big of a B it is. Also I had to remove the black cap on the frame and figure out how to squeeze my logs for fingers into that tiny hole. (Thats what she said) lol. Sorry. Anyway these are two things I have been wanting to do for a while now and am very excited they are done. Make my KJ look a little less grocery getter and a little more mancepptable. A few things I need to do to finish this cross rails up.
Rubber end caps.
Paint the u-bolts.
Cut u-bolts.

Let me know what you think.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks great, nice jobs.
Hear ya on the black caps. Think I was bleeding afterwards, but it was worth it.

Did KJBoone wreck his black KJ? He just got it I thought.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a KK but made my own cross bars too.Last night I bought a second kayak,they both fit on the KK. I used pipe insulation at first but bought swim noddles to try,have yet to put it on. I want to go to Lime Lake,and kayak.Went there as a child and remember it as pretty. Happy modden and kayaking.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
I have a KK but made my own cross bars too.Last night I bought a second kayak,they both fit on the KK. I used pipe insulation at first but bought swim noddles to try,have yet to put it on. I want to go to Lime Lake,and kayak.Went there as a child and remember it as pretty. Happy modden and kayaking.

Thanks how do you arrange your kayaks on your roof? Any issues with the pipe insulation?

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pipe insulation flattend still works but not much padding.I used uni-strut 60" front and back. I have a 10' pelican and just bought a 9'6" old towne,they fit side by side with cockpit down.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't but can get some tomorrow. Or you can drive up 131 and bring a pizza and look.:D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Overall nice job, but I would consider using nylock's instead of the regular nuts.
The U clamps are a bit too tall.. you could trim them a bit, would look neater.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What LibertyTC said, and yeah i agree, Im never removing my front hooks cause i could not stand the stress that came with removing the front bumper for adding the hooks , granted i was a poor little jeep noob at the time, and since then know how to lift a jeep, and do a few more mods.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Yup the next step is get plugs for the end of the tubing paint the u-bolts and cut them down. Also im considering wing nuts for easy ajustment.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, unfortunately i smashed up libby...and now im really broke so i gotta sell her

Latest posts

Members online