Courtesy Lights reversed after EVIC Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonb

Reaction score
Hi All – Here’s one for the electronic gurus out there! I installed an EVIC in my 2005 KJ over the weekend – bought it from the_titan and checked that it’s the correct one for my year - p/n 56010520AD.

It was an easy install – thanks to everyone for the info. All went well, the EVIC is performing fine – it oriented its compass to the new Canadian location, temp sensor OK + all other functions OK.

However, the courtesy/map lights are another story. They are working backwards. When the door is opened they go off. After the door is closed, after about 15 secs, they come on. The reading lights come on when they’re pressed. I’m kind of stumped right now & would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks & regards to all,

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem but I had an older EVIC on my 06... When I got an 06 EVIC and installed it, the lights worked normally again... Sounds like the EVIC you have isnt for an 05, but Im not sure. All I know is that I had the SAME EXACT problem and when I got the right year EVIC for my Liberty (06) it worked great...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Do you have the connector switched around?

Maybe the wires are different. I can't see how something like that would confuse the lights?

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the wires ARE different. I answered his PM about it, and I posted in the EVIC thread he wrote about this in. In 05 the 3 wires are totally reversed from the 06 EVIC he has. All 3 have to be relocated.

Your 05:
A
A908 18RD
FUSED B(+)
B
Z327 20BK/WT
GROUND
C
M20 20YL/LB
COURTESY LAMP LOAD SHED

06 Liberty's it came out of:
A
M20 20YL/LB
COURTESY LAMP LOAD SHED
B
A908 20RD
FUSED B(+)
C
Z327 20BK/WT
GROUND

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guarantee that is the solution, but post on your results either way. Can't be too many other options.

jonb

Reaction score
Courtesy/Map Lights reversed

Got the problem fixed over the weekend. Turns out that the existing wiring on my 05 connector was;
A - YL/LB
B - RD
C - BK/WT
Thought about this for a few minutes & then changed it to what the wiring diagram says it should be (didn't touch any of the EVIC wiring);
A - RD
B - BK/WT
C - YL/LB
Courtesy/Map lights are working just fine now!

tommy2step

Reaction score
ya I had the smae problem I reverse polarity of a circuit by accident