Rusty's .75" poly spacer lift results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, no pics yet, so feel free to yell ;) Camera batteries are shot, and I didn't feel like postponing at all to go to the store for some.

So, the install went OK. I started with the driver's side, which took me forever to figure it all out - how to get the clevis off, etc etc. The passenger side took about 1/4 the time.

Let me say that it was a TON of fun using the rented spring compressors and hand tools. :rolleyes: My forearms got a nice workout today.

Tip for removing the clevis fork - pull clamp bolt out...thread it in backwards (start it in the side with threads)...put in a box end wrench or a good size washer into the slot, and tighten the bolt against it. It'll spread the clevis open nicely.

Beginning specs:
Driver Front: 12.25" to pinch weld, 31.5" to bottom of flare.
Passenger Front: 12.50" to pinch weld, 32" to bottom of flare.
Driver Rear: 32.25" to center of flare
Passenger Rear: 32.5" to center of flare.

Ending specs:
Driver Front: 14" to pinch weld, 33.5" to bottom of flare
Passenger Front: 14.24" to pinch weld, 34" to bottom of flare.
Driver Rear: TBD
Passenger Rear: TBD

I'll edit this post as I continue on. I am done for the night, I am about to take it out and see if it affected suspension feel significantly. If I don't like it, I'll just pull it out.

Other thing I noticed is I was bouncing the front end and it gets that poly "squishy" noise, like tires turning on a painted floor. I am going to see how noticeable it is. Hopefully it's not annoying. I can't remember if there was any noise stock, I'll stop by a dealer tomorrow and bounce the front end on one.

So, that's it for tonight. Will update more tomorrow. Initial impressions are that I love how the front looks. I definitely need to throw an isolator or two into the rear as the front is noticeably higher. Ball joints don't even come close to contact with the spring - a good .5"-.75" out. I can fit my fingers in between them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated info:

Well, I re-measured everything today in the driveway (so, I suppose it could be slightly off level). I have the following:

Driver Front - 33" to flare, 14" to pinch weld
Passenger Front - 33" to flare, 14" to pinch weld
Driver rear - 33" to flare
Passenger rear - 34" to flare.

That's only the 3/4" spacer added to the front, and 2 extra upper isolators on the rear (total of 3 per side). I am going to have to look into the one corner, it's noticeably higher. Not sure what the deal is there.

Like I mentioned - little bit of noise from the front on a decent bump, none noticed on smaller bumps. Ride quality seems to be the exact same to me. It looks darn level, if not having a very slight forward rake.

Sorry for the dark pics, it's overcast here. If people want to see, I can get better ones later. There definitely is a noticeable difference:

You must be registered for see images attach

For comparison, here is it stock in the same location:

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do - I'll update the first post tonight when I get home. I was meaning to, but Labor Day festivities got in the way ;). I'll post final measurements and whatnot.

So far I am very pleased. Very noticeable visual difference, but the ride seems to be the same. Maybe ever so slightly more harsh, hardly noticeable. I think it's mostly mental with me and I think I feel it.

I know there are people here thinking "Just wait, you'll regret it!!!". You all might be very right. Worst case, I have to pick up a pair or struts in 20k miles and I put it back to stock or go with a bigger lift. I've got $23 into the front struts and $50 in isolators on the rear.

Anyway, I promise I'll get back to the post tonight with pics and everything. The purpose of me posting this was I only found one post of this on LOST with like 1 mediocre pic. I wanted more info for people like me in the future that don't want a 2.5" lift or to drop $500-$800 on a lift that they'll never use the full potential of.

I also will probably get some backlash on this next statement, and that's OK - I don't really know that I agree with the 2.5" lifts either....seems to me this lift was about as high as you can go without really having to stretch the LCA down to fit the strut in. Yes, I know when the vehicle is back on all 4 tires the LCA will come back up to a more suitable position, but it seems fairly excessive to me. To me, it almost seems like this was something that the Jeep engineers built in - this window for a lift of this manitude. It just seemed so easy to do and like it fit appropriately. What do I know though, I'm just a poor accountant trying to make a living ;)

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it looks great and for $73 you really cant go wrong!!!!:cool: You should probably get an alignment. After my rusty's lift sagged the alignment was way out of wack. It didn't pull just started to shred my front tires.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys...yeah, I think I should get in for an alignment. Debating the Firestone lifetime deal.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job on the lift. You know what, the idea of spending all this $$$$$ on a 2.5" lift does erk me. Especially knowing that I took the KJ off-road 1 time in the last year. Nothing around here is good unless you drive to Silver Lake, Bear Dunes, or Mounds (and mounds is Okay for us KJ folks). I thought about going with the FrankenLift but now I'm pretty convinced that what I have is good enough for what I do. I just gotta get some normal sized tires rather than these big ol' 265/70's (get normal 245/75's).

I'll keep looking for you when I roll through your area of town!!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Phil - only time will tell how hard I am on the struts with this spacer, but that was my thought - for the $73, I'll give it a shot. I really think this lift will do just fine for me - I'll probably off-road 4x's a year, and like you said, it won't be anything crazy. Just The Mounds, fire trails, etc. The extra lift would be cool, but I have skid plates for a reason ;)

I'm looking to do 245/75's, but it'll be a little while. The funding just isn't there, and I can't justify offing these GY's with 6k miles on them. You know the deal, you're engaged with a house ;)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I justified it with 11k on the Goodyears. :) (ended up waiting until 15k to replace them though)

Haven't regretted it one bit.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could cough up the cash, but it's like "New family room carpet, or landscaping, or finishing the basement or garage.....or tires..."

Tires are on my list of priorities, just farther down the list than some other items.

wildrussian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to tell you about your passenget being higher than you drivers side is pretty normal. I had that problem and it seems like mine settled a little after few weeks. Somebody also said that they have done many Liberty lifts and they all sit lower on the passenger side.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You keep telling yourself that I can make these tires last a little longer but as soon as you change them out its like WHY did I wait. Funny thing the other day it had rained some and there was a Lib in front of me at the light , older couple he took spinning, left off the gas, hit it again not hard just taking off and it spins some more. We get down the street and he pulls into the store in front of me and gets out, he looks at mine and says I hope you get better traction than me, if a dog pees in the road I spin! Informed him of the tires and guess what he bought another set the next day!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am not too concerned about the height difference in the rear. It's midly annoying, but I could pull a spacer or both out to level it. I'll leave it for a little bit and see what happens.

For the tires, while I agree that A/T's would be much better, I still don't see what's so awful about these stock GY's. Not to mention, I have selec-trac...if it's raining and slick, it's 4wd time for me ;) It's not how much longer can I wait - they have a whopping 6k miles on them. So, there's a ton of life left in them, and I have other things to drop $1k on right now.

modular

Reaction score
Atrus (Kevin), I have sent you an email with questions on your set-up.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
modular - replied.

By the way, I think there are quite a few Ohio members here that could help you if you're a little nervous about going at it alone.

modular

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate the feedback. So, if anyone near Cincinnati would like to lend a hand I will be slapping the parts on this weekend (1/5 or 1/6). I have all the tools I need but a spring compressor. I am either going to Harbour Freight or renting one from Autozone. Tires and rims should be here later this week. I have been reading up on Haspin Acres in Indiana ('bout 60 miles from me) and I am iching to play a little.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Watch out for the cheap spring compressors been there still have my head and will not use them again! I would rather give the shop 20 bucks and let them do it. Ive done 4 spring lifts so far in my garage, but youre a little too far for a quick run down and help, although Jon comes from Kent over to my place so... I am free next week but not this one.

Tom

modular

Reaction score
I want to go by Autozone and see what they have for a rental. If I buy one, it will have the safety pin style clamps. Toledo sure is an awful ways away for, what, 3 hours work...at the most? I would feel bad for the long trip. I am already PB Blasting the bolts and have a cordless DeWalt impact and all the hand tools needed. The $20 you speak of...is this each strut or for the pair?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had good luck with the rented autozone ones...only problem was the clearance between the springs was a little tight, but it worked finr for me.

Latest posts

Members online