Heater Core? What to check / costs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '03 Liberty Sport, the heater is just blowing warm, not hot. My '02 by comparison blows plenty hot when the heat is on, so I know there's an issue.

I asked about the fresh air vent actuating and the shop said it is... and they are telling me the heater core needs to be replaced.

From what I have read here, about a $100 part followed by $1000 worth of labor getting the dash out (def not something I feel like attempting).

Is there anything else I should have them check - or any other diagnostics/procedures that should be done.

I asked about the thermostat and they said it's working but was thinking maybe I should replace anyway.

Right now after paying cash for 2 Jeep Liberty's ($10k) in the last few weeks, fixing one up I knew needed repairs (steering rack, transmission leak $2.4 k) and doing all the maintenance to get the service records up to date ($900fluids, gear box, differential, filters, etc), I'm kinda tapped out money wise for now.

Probably will wait for a while if I have to spend another $1-1.3k :Insane:

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they at least tried to flush the heater core before just saying it needs to be replaced?

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they at least tried to flush the heater core before just saying it needs to be replaced?

Their quote to me (and I don't plan on using them for repairs, it was a 45 day used car warranty that they were working on and this wasn't covered) was that it would be a waste of money. I suggested that as well and asked if it would be worth trying.

Was planning on taking to a local guy near me who's labor rate is a lot less and does good work.

What does a core flush run approximately?

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They'll flush the entire coolant system. It's probably a good idea anyway because who knows if it has ever been done by the previous owner, or if they added incorrect coolant at some point etc. Usually a bunch of crap comes out of the heater core. It's really easy to do yourself, I probably wouldn't pay someone to do it...but if the place is cool, they'll probably charge you an hour or so labor and antifreeze...make sure you/they use HOAT coolant.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, so a coolant system flush. Had that done first thing on my 02 but don't think I did it on my 03. Buying two cars at the same time its getting a little confusing.

Forgive my ignorance on the HOAT?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can back flush your heater core yourself,just need a garden hose.Just unhook both heater core lines in the engine bay,force water through with garden hose with water at full force.Wait till the water comes out clear then switch to the other hose,repeat a few times.If you can blow out the heater core with air then add some radiator flush cleaner and a small amount of water(boiling water is best) and hold/tie hose up so it stay's in the core.After 30mins repeat the flushing with the garden hose.

If the above does not work it is time for a new heater core.It calls for 7.8 labor hours to R&I the heater core in a KJ,then add on top of that what ever the shop charges for a AC system evac and recharge since that is not included in the 7.8 hours but must be done since the AC lines have to be disconnected.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like something I could do if we get a day above freezing... Since I was gonna wait anyway that could work.

One other question, just had a coolant flush and fill done locally but didn't know about the HOAT so I am now going to have to ask what they used. If it was the wrong type... Then what. Flush and fill again? $$$

Btw, the orange and black liberty is killer. Looks awesome.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this over on LOST... it may help you out should you decide to replace the heater core yourself... If you can get the jeep for 3-4 hours and you feel comfortable with your mechanical skills... its not as bad as you think. I was very intimidated by this job... this was one of the only things that truly scared me... I bypassed the heater core when it sprung a leak and couldn't convince myself to do it for almost a year.... once I started and actually got it done... it wasn't bad at all... I did it the day before it snowed here in NY this season... and it was freezing... but it only tok me 3 hours to do... my KJ has over 300,000 miles on it and outside of body work... i've done ALL of my own repairs... so I'm very comfortable just taking things apart and putting them back together... Unfortunately it was freezing out so I couldn't take the time to take pictures and actually write up a how to... but I wrote a basic "how I did it" afterwards...

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72219\
:guile-1:

Reginator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohhh mannn.... i dont think i could ever put the puzzle back together... i guess i gotta keep wearing my parka. thats a task i dont think i could do , nor wanna fork out the money for.. up here in canada its mighty cold, but atleast my jeep heats up enough to defrost my windshield

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not so sure about my skills pulling the dash and doing all that and my ability to puzzle it together again as well. Maybe if I had a partner working with me and took plenty of pics ;)

One other question, just had a coolant flush and fill done locally but didn't know about the HOAT so I am now going to have to ask what they used. If it was the wrong type... Then what. Flush and fill again? $$$

So, quoting myself from earlier - I need to ask my shop what they put in but if they didn't use HOAT, what do I do?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not so sure about my skills pulling the dash and doing all that and my ability to puzzle it together again as well. Maybe if I had a partner working with me and took plenty of pics ;)

So, quoting myself from earlier - I need to ask my shop what they put in but if they didn't use HOAT, what do I do?

If its not hoat then yes. what colour is your coolant right now?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to check when it's daylight and will let you know. What color am I looking for?
Color will tell you nothing about what type of coolant it is.Though HOAT is most commonally very light yellow,green,and orange(or pink'ish color).

But OAT coolant can also be those colors and more to include purple,blue,red and a few others.

These newer coolants are clear and dyed to what ever color the seller wants.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Color will tell you nothing about what type of coolant it is.Though HOAT is most commonally very light yellow,green,and orange(or pink'ish color).

But OAT coolant can also be those colors and more to include purple,blue,red and a few others.

These newer coolants are clear and dyed to what ever color the seller wants.

Ok, so - I'll go talk to the shop and ask. Did buy a couple bottles of HOAT coolant (since I have 2 cars) on amazon to have on hand with distilled water I'll pick up at the grocery store - so I'll be prepared either way. Worse case I'll have some spare coolant.

Also now wondering what my 03 Caravan is supposed to be using. Unfortunately, I wish I had found you guys sooner. Thanks for the advice.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so - I'll go talk to the shop and ask. Did buy a couple bottles of HOAT coolant (since I have 2 cars) on amazon to have on hand with distilled water I'll pick up at the grocery store - so I'll be prepared either way. Worse case I'll have some spare coolant.

Also now wondering what my 03 Caravan is supposed to be using. Unfortunately, I wish I had found you guys sooner. Thanks for the advice.
Unless it's a Ford dealership,Chrysler dealership,or a shop that uses safety kleen khameleon antifreeze you almost certainly have OAT coolant in your system.Even now you have to be worried about getting the correct coolant at a Chrysler dealership since they caved and switched to OAT coolant for '13+ models due to coolant issues from poeple putting the wrong coolant in.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless it's a Ford dealership,Chrysler dealership,or a shop that uses safety kleen khameleon antifreeze you almost certainly have OAT coolant in your system.Even now you have to be worried about getting the correct coolant at a Chrysler dealership since they caved and switched to OAT coolant for '13+ models due to coolant issues from poeple putting the wrong coolant in.

Ugh - figures. Good to know though since it's supposed to last 75-100,000 miles or so right? Might as well fix the mistake that was made only last week. Who knows though what the previous owner had in it for the first 150,000 miles. Makes me wonder...

Ok, so I don't typically change my fluids myself - so now what. Take the bottles with me and ask them to swap it out? Or buy something like this Prestone AF-KIT Flush 'N Fill Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive and try and figure it out?

I've changed filters, replaced modules and fuses, installed radios and stuff like that - just never had the desire to do oil, coolant changes.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following up - took it to the dealer. Had the heater core flushed/coolant changed and made sure they used HOAT. Guess what... heater is back to tip top shape and is hot as an inferno.

Oh, and on my other Liberty, talked with the lube place I go to and they said they would swap out the fluids with the proper fluid I bring to them for no charge.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.