Hard shifting in and out of drive...help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched and couldn't find a similar problem so I thought I'd make a thread...sorry if it's a repost

My problem isn't major, just annoying. I have an '02 Limited KJ, 3.7L, and every single time, since the thing was brand new, when I shift from Park to Drive, or to reverse or any combo of Park/Drive/Reverse, it seems to shift hard, with a good thunk. Just like if you were on the throttle and shifted. It's been in the dealership and they just said all KJ's do it, I've changed the transmission fluid and filter several times, doesn't help.

It doesn't seem to have affected the transmission's life either - it has 111k miles and runs and shifts on the fly extremely smoothly. But shifting in and out of first it slams in and out of gear. It's getting really annoying...

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe the idle is set to high?? is the idle adjustable?

Flame away...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's a Jeep thing.

I used to have a 99 WJ I bought new, took it to the dealer for the same thing and they said all of them do that. :D My KJ is the same way. Embrace it. :D

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, mine does that too sometimes. Moreso in the cold weather. I seemed to have gotten around this by shifting it into Neutral for about a second before i shift it into drive (from reverse, I let it roll from the momentum I build up from reverse, kind of like a manual, then come to a complete stop). Doesn't seem to do it park -> drive.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
strange - the company I work for has 3 '05 KJ's and none of them do it. Ah well, thanks guys

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
strange - the company I work for has 3 '05 KJ's and none of them do it. Ah well, thanks guys

Best thing you can do to ensure you're good is check your trans fluid. Either check the dipstick, or if you don't have one, drop the pan, and make sure the fluid is nice and pink!

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do. My parents bought this thing new and my dad is a freak when it comes to maintenance. He used nothing but Mobile1 synthetic but still changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. He flushed and changed the ****** fluid every 30,000. Like I said, it runs very well, shifts smooth going down the road - just feels like you're on the gas a little bit shifting in and out of drive/reverse. Ah well, thanks for the quick responses!

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this only occur when the engine is cold? Maybe the choke, as it does bring the RPMs up a little; then you'd experience that thunk noise.
Mine did it, but for a different reason. The upper axle support ('V' shaped) center pivot was faulty, and I had this noise until a mechanic took it for a test drive.
You might want to take a gander at that, it might just be your problem.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, it does it every time, regardless of temp. And it's not really a noise, it learches the jeep, as if you have it under throttle. There's no clunking or metal on metal or anything like that - just not a very smooth shift. Ah well, seems to be normal.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this only occur when the engine is cold? Maybe the choke, as it does bring the RPMs up a little; then you'd experience that thunk noise.
Mine did it, but for a different reason. The upper axle support ('V' shaped) center pivot was faulty, and I had this noise until a mechanic took it for a test drive.
You might want to take a gander at that, it might just be your problem.

That would be the rear Tri-Link and the ball joint that connects the differential housing to the Tri-Link.

When that ball joint goes bad there is usually a "skittish" feeling when going around corners as the Tri-Link primarily keeps the rear axle centered laterally. It also somewhat keeps the axle from moving fore and aft and if it's bad it will give a nice "clunk" in certain situations.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online