Brake dust shield: need or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Must have tweaked it, replacing the CV (driver's side) it hit the LBJ boot today after I hit a bump. Didn't nick the boot thankfully, but I cut the shield off. Mostly out of anger. :happy175: Do I really need it?

Thanks!

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like your brakes to work properly it's probably on the better side to replace it... I realize the brakes will still work fine, but if you like to go offroad, it's probably in your best interest to get another one.
If you strictly pavement drove it, it wouldn't make much of a difference.. until winter..

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never replaced one in my 20+ years of mechanics. I have never had an issue relating to the shield not being there and I've taken them off several vehicles.

I've never removed a non-damaged or one that wasn't rusted off though either.

Personally, I wouldn't bother replacing it. BUT, that's me and my opinion.

Last edited:

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you mention that it hit the LBJ boot, are you referring to the small shield that is attached to the bottom of the knuckle?

To my understanding that one is not really a dust shield, its purpose is to protect the LBJ from the heat generated by the brake system.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Found a pair of mopar ones on eBay...$15 shipped, I bought them. Thanks for the help. Never would've thought they were a BJ heat shield.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That little shield is not a dust shield. It is a heat shield to protect the lower ball joint boot from the brake heat. With out it your lower ball joint boot will become brittle and or melt. It needs to be on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Think it's ok to drive around for a week or so till the new ones show up in the mail? No strenuous driving planned.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing them on mine.

I don't remember them being on mine either. Never seen them on any vehicle I've had or worked on now thinking of it. Gonna have to look now out of curiosity.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll post up pics when I get them...with the part number. I might have paid a bit much ($15 for a pair, free shipping/no tax), they go for about $3 each plus shipping (found that out after I bought them).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.