What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This afternoon, I jacked up Giddyup and crawled underneath in order to replace her original Crankshaft Position Sensor that MIGHT have caused the warm crank/no start situation which happened out of the blue a few weeks ago though has not repeated since.

Replacing the CPS from underneath was definitely a squeeze for my hands and the few tools needed, but also meant that I did not need to remove anything except the parts involved -- the heat shield over the CPS (2 10mm bolts), the sensor itself (5mm allen head) , and I also did unscrew the pigtail hold down bracket (8mm bolt) to make disconnecting and inserting the new sensor into the bracket easier, since I couldn't see how those parts actually locked together until after I removed them. Job was done in less then an hour, including rotating the tires. :cool:

Then I crawled on top of the engine and also replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor for good measure. EZ-PZ done in 5 minutes. ;)

Finally I replaced the Auto Shut Down relay in the fuse box, just in case it was "sticky" and contributing to the pesky crank/no start.
Of course, that didn't take but 30 seconds, with most of that spent trying to find my glasses in order to read the tiny print on the lid to identify the correct relay. :rolleyes:

Below are pics of the Standard Motor Products part numbers for the sensors.
Note that the Cam sensor is repackaged and made in Italy, so likely OEM, though the Crank sensor is "Hecho in China"

I have since learned from a knowledgable LostJeeps member that the Crank sensor from Autozone's house "Duralast" brand can be a repackaged OEM Bosch sensor, but that was only after I had ordered both the parts from Rock Auto. So far I have had only good quality experiences with SMP ignition parts and sensors and I got both for $80, which is less then the cost of one from IDP. That said, it would be a good idea to check with your local Autozone for these parts to see if you can get OEM quality for even LESS monies.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have to replace front driveshaft... can't put it off any longer. Any input from anyone on recommended brands? RockAuto has SKP for $162 and Cardone for $340, Dorman for $365. Any favorites/warnings about any of these options?
(I know there are kits out there to repair the existing shaft but currently that's not an option - too many other things on the non-vehicle To-Do list so just want to put a complete shaft back in - unless the above options are all deemed bad)

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to replace front driveshaft... can't put it off any longer. Any input from anyone on recommended brands? RockAuto has SKP for $162 and Cardone for $340, Dorman for $365. Any favorites/warnings about any of these options?
(I know there are kits out there to repair the existing shaft but currently that's not an option - too many other things on the non-vehicle To-Do list so just want to put a complete shaft back in - unless the above options are all deemed bad)
Replacing the cv at the will take 20‐30 minutes longer and you'll save lots of money doing it. There are multiple lengths of drive shaft depending on configuration. Many have struggled to get the correct one first time, but the cvs are all the same.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Refurbished all 5 rims and now waiting for my new tires, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac RT.
Very happy with the Cooper STT Pro's, I have them for 6 years and 55.000KM and they were great off-road,
fine on-road, excellent on Mud, only down side was on wet roads (expected as it is an MT tire).
Now since I am planning to using it more on-road and less in Mud than before, I chose the new Duratrac RT...

Reaction score
Replacing the cv at the will take 20‐30 minutes longer and you'll save lots of money doing it. There are multiple lengths of drive shaft depending on configuration. Many have struggled to get the correct one first time, but the cvs are all the same.
Thanks for the warning about the varying length. Currently I'm away from home dealing with a situation, so no tools or workspace available. I had a shop remove it because it started sounding really bad over the course of the past week and I was afraid it would start doing damage to other things (lots of miles driven.) So I'm currently driving without but don't want to do that for too long. I'm looking at another month before I could get to it.

Latest posts

Members online