YJ Wrangler needs new driveline!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
My neighbor brought his YJ over with a new noise. Looking at it I found the front diff has lost it's teeth or splines and every u-joint on the thing is bad. Does anyone sell a kit with new driveshafts, front axles & u-joints, front hubs & bearings... etc. Just thinking that might exist since wranglers have a huge aftermarket.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by lost it's splines? Are you taking about the ring gear or the splines on the axle shafts? Regardless parts should be available with relative ease. The hardest thing will be the U-joints. There can be a number of sizes depending on configuration and year and whatever American motors/chrysler decided to throw in. An entire kit would be unlikely given how modified most of them are at this point. I haven't seen one, but I've also never really looked, we order individually. It allows us to control price and quality (brand names) better.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I'm not sure where it lost its' connection but I'd bet on gone pinion teeth since there's no resistance when turning the driveshaft by hand. It's all pretty worn out.

My buddy doesn't wrench much but he does hunt, fish, and trap. He's the real Alaskan everyone else is pretending to be.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where it lost its' connection but I'd bet on gone pinion teeth since there's no resistance when turning the driveshaft by hand. It's all pretty worn out.

My buddy doesn't wrench much but he does hunt, fish, and trap. He's the real Alaskan everyone else is pretending to be.
I would start by pulling the diff cover, or check for a broken vacuum tube/diaphram to the front diff. I believe those YJ have the front diff that are vacuum actuated to engage the front diff with 4x4.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The local Bass Pro has a very very large sign that says "Welcome Hunters, Fishermen and other liars". They know their audience and we are happy to be there hahaha

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I'll look into the vacuum operated aspect but I think he just has a lever. That would be cool. All the u-joints have play and the driveshafts are floppy bananas.

My guess is he's going to get another "cheap jeep" since everything mechanical is now under a foot of perma-snow.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the lever activates it. Kind of a weird design. If the vehicle itself is relatively rust free, he may be able to sell it for a decent price in the south to someone in Northern BC. The YJ's down in the lower mainland still go for 6000 CAD for a cheap one. It may be worth fixing.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
It's rust.

He has another wrangler parked with engine noises I never got to hear. He has someone coming to check it out.

We'll get him where he needs to go.