Stupid Question Thread - 15" Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I remember reading somewhere on here that 15" wheels were too small to clear the front brakes on the KJ. I tried to search a couple different terms and I attempted to google it to no avail. Despite that, the answer is most likely right in front of me and had it been a snake I already would have been bitten. None the less, on to the stupid question. These wheels are factory off an XJ. I know that 15" soft 8's will clear, but that's where my confusion stemmed from. According to the guy selling them, the tires are 215/75R15 and the wheels have 5.25" of backspacing. If I'm interpreting the backspacing chart correctly and if I'm safe to assume that with a tire size of 215 that would mean the rims are 8.5" wide, then that would leave me with an offset of +12. I'll put a pic of the rims below. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry won't work
Just a stock steel wheel and will rub bad on the front calipers
Not sure how you are coming up with a 8 . 5 inch wheel but those are only 6 if I remember right but possibly 7
Haven't seen any of those in a while
Tire size has nothing at all to do with width of the wheel , nothing....
Those came on YJs, XJs and some early model TJs

Last edited:

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry won't work
Just a stock steel wheel and will rub bad on the front calipers
Not sure how you are coming up with a 8 . 5 inch wheel but those are only 6 if I remember right but possibly 7
Haven't seen any of those in a while
Tire size has nothing at all to do with width of the wheel , nothing....
Those came on YJs, XJs and some early model TJs

I appreciate it. It's a shame they don't work because it's a damn good deal, but I'm glad I found out before driving the hour and a half. It's also good to know about the whole tire/wheel width thing. I didn't really give too much thought to it, but I guess it does make a lot of sense. Thanks again, Tom!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for the record the only 8 inch wide wheel that Jeep ever sent out were the
15X8 Alcoa, installed on the Rocky Mountain Edition TJ
15X8 Ravine on the TJ
15X8 Canyon on the TJ
15X8 Gambler on the TJ
And of course the 16X8 Moab ( of which there are two different styles ) on the Rubicon TJ's

Of course only the Moabs fit without any issues on a lifted KJ

This is just the bolt patterns that fit our KJs/KKs

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate it. It's a shame they don't work because it's a damn good deal, but I'm glad I found out before driving the hour and a half. It's also good to know about the whole tire/wheel width thing. I didn't really give too much thought to it, but I guess it does make a lot of sense. Thanks again, Tom!

I remember hauling at least 8 to 10 of those to the junk yard about 10 years ago . Had been stacked up behind the garage down home , just waiting .....:happy175:

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, that's good stuff. Thanks for letting me know. It will definitely come in handy, because I've been scouting craigslist and facebook looking for a set of wheels and tires to get the through the winter. I decided to spend the couple hundred up front for those instead of 4x or more of that number fixing damage as a result of no traction.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang for $80 it would be worth it to clean them up.