Odd starting issues with my -12 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scarlett's Dad

Reaction score
My car is in the shop so I've been driving my daughter's Liberty this week. She complained about this to me once, maybe twice in the 8 months we've had the car, but today I experienced it three times.

99.99% of the time it starts right up when you turn the key, as it should. But today, I noticed that if I made a stop after driving for a bit, like running into a store or something no more than about 10 minutes tops, when I go to start it the starter just runs until it times out. then I turn the key again and it starts right up.

My guess is that it's a fuel delivery issue, based upon some of the things I've read in other issues with people having starting problems. It started to seem problematic, like it was going to do this every time I turned off the engine. The fuel level was low, about 1/8 tank and then the "need fuel" light came on. I stopped at the gas station and put gas in it and it fired right up, so I'm wondering if fuel level has anything to do with it.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar issue due to failing fuel pump on a non jeep - Subaru.

But it was the Fuel Pump Relay failing.

Check fuses? Relays? Maybe something is failing? Or pump is slowly dying.