gas miliage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blueliberty

Reaction score
well this might be a stupid question but here goes I recently bought my 02 kj after driving it around a couple days i found that the gas milage that i get in it ***** so i was wondering if there is anything that i could do to get better gas milage I had saw that tornado things on the tv thay say thet those things will but i donno any suggestions would be appreciated thanks josh

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Well to be honest this is the number one complaint of many KJ'ers fortunately, there are some things you can do.

Basic Things:
1.) Check Air Pressure of tires, lower pressure = more rolling resistance.
2.) Check to make sure air filter is clean.

Mods:
1.) Cat Back Exhausts are known to help mpg by 1~2 mpg sometimes 3.
2.) Aftermarket Cold Air Intake or Drop in K&N filter
3.) High Flow Catalyic Converter
4.) Some people have mentioned with a throttle body spacer does help. (I can't verify this, because I don't have one)
5.) Synthetic Oil supposed to give maybe 1~2 mpg with a good filter.
6.) Some people mention better spark plugs can help

Things that make MPG go down.
1.) Lots of Lights / Baskets
2.) Bigger Tires
3.) Lift (I noticed after I did the clevis it dropped, but it really didn't change much after my lift-The slight tilt must add better air flow)
4.) Huge heavy sub boxes
5.) Full car load of people
6.) Under inflated tires
7.) Pulling a trailer
8.) Excess drain on alternator
9.) Air Conditioning
10.) Opening Windows
11.) Offroading
12.) Winter Gas
13.) Driving Hard - be nice to it and it will be a little nicer to your pocket.
14.) Excess weight in general - Skid Plates, Brushgaurds ...
15.) The computer gets mad if it doesn't go offroading every month, and deciedes to dump lots of fuel into the motor- So make sure you take her out every once and a while.

As I side not I found my Liberty gets the best MPG at 61 mph.

Bennett

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mileage

1. The Liberty is not an aerodynamic vehicle. Mileage drops quickly with speed. 2. The Liberty is not a light-weight. Stop and go driving with a 4000 lb. vehicle takes its toll. That said, the 3.7 is a durable and efficient engine -- with a difficult mission!

Your driving circumstance and style probably has more impact on your gas mileage than anything else you can do. If you have an overhead console, your MPG feature can let you know what works. If you don't have one, you might be able to install one.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ vs XJ

Curious, how will my new '05 Liberty compare to my old '00 Cherokee on gas mileage?

I was getting between 14 and 17 mpg on my Cherokee.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: KJ vs XJ

jjo said:
Curious, how will my new '05 Liberty compare to my old '00 Cherokee on gas mileage?

I was getting between 14 and 17 mpg on my Cherokee.

If you are stock, you probably won't do any worse than that, and you might do better. However, my dad's Cherokee, even though its a 4x4, still gets better mileage than I do. He gets about 19 overall. I get about 16.5 overall. Some of that has to do with driving style of course, but I still get better mileage in the Cherokee when I have had to borrow it then I do in my Libby.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: mileage

roadrunner said:
1. The Liberty is not an aerodynamic vehicle. Mileage drops quickly with speed. 2. The Liberty is not a light-weight. Stop and go driving with a 4000 lb. vehicle takes its toll. That said, the 3.7 is a durable and efficient engine -- with a difficult mission!

Your driving circumstance and style probably has more impact on your gas mileage than anything else you can do. If you have an overhead console, your MPG feature can let you know what works. If you don't have one, you might be able to install one.

I agree with your post, but I have noticed something curious in mine. Mileage drops some from 60 to 70 mph cruising. But I have tested the following...my mileage with the cruise set on 70 on a 300 mile trip was 17.9. I went on a different trip down the same roads a week later, but drove 80 the whole way and got 18.8 mpg. The weather was the same, all the variables were the same except the speed and night and day. When I was going slower it was nighttime. The 80 mph cruise setting was in daytime driving. Just a curious observation. I would have thought that the mileage would have been lower at 80 :-k

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
added synthetic mobile one today for the first time, will let everyone know how much it helps mileage. \:D/

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Re: mileage

yoda13 said:
roadrunner said:

I agree with your post, but I have noticed something curious in mine. Mileage drops some from 60 to 70 mph cruising. But I have tested the following...my mileage with the cruise set on 70 on a 300 mile trip was 17.9. I went on a different trip down the same roads a week later, but drove 80 the whole way and got 18.8 mpg. The weather was the same, all the variables were the same except the speed and night and day. When I was going slower it was nighttime. The 80 mph cruise setting was in daytime driving. Just a curious observation. I would have thought that the mileage would have been lower at 80 :-k

I have witnessed the same thing before before my lift&tires that it did get better mpg at 75 than 65.

Bennett

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I have a lift and tires and I did some experimenting myself. I usually drive an average of 75 mph on my trip to Pa. However, on one trip I drove an average of 65mph and got a +3mpg. Drove same route later date on a trip at my usual speed, and the mpg went back to what I got before.

It makes no sense to get better mileage by going faster. The faster you go, the more fuel you use, thus you get lousier gas milage. There are many factors that can help/decrease mpg, but like I said, the faster you go, the more fuel you will use.

Mike

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Wind plays a big factor in it as well, maybe we are over looking that.

Tailwinds probably do help quite a bit, as headwinds I've noticed cause significant drops in MPG.

Bennett

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree there must be some environmental external factor in the increased mileage at faster speeds, I just have yet to figure it out.... :-k

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
re: gas milage

Went on a 1500 mile trip in my Liberty, wound up averaging 20-21mpg driving between 55-75mph. Can't say what might have attributed to the mileage, but I was pleasantly surprised. I traded a '98 Dakota for the Jeep, and with 138k it would avg 22-23 with a 4cyl, so I'm not too upset at my numbers so far.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten 23.4 mpg on a tank. Went about 370 miles before stopping for gas. About 120 miles where 75-80mph, about 40 miles up a mountain and 40 down. About another 100 going 55-65mph and the rest just around town. Not bad I guess. I don't expect that once I lift her.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
I've gotten 23.4 mpg on a tank. Went about 370 miles before stopping for gas. About 120 miles where 75-80mph, about 40 miles up a mountain and 40 down. About another 100 going 55-65mph and the rest just around town. Not bad I guess. I don't expect that once I lift her.

yeah, I doubt that you'll get that when you lift her, but that is good mileage. Wish I could just get twenty on a tank...but alas, I doubt that I'll see that.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont understand how u all get 16mpg in ur libby, if i take it easy i can get 18. on a 1.5 hour trip last week i got 23-24. i just put in a k&n today so well see if that does anything for it.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
i dont understand how u all get 16mpg in ur libby, if i take it easy i can get 18. on a 1.5 hour trip last week i got 23-24. i just put in a k&n today so well see if that does anything for it.

I had to put the K&N in just to get it up to 16 ](*,)

Best tank I have ever gotten was 18.8 once on a three hundred mile trip, and I have never seen anything that high again.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I have thought about that too, because it seems that the 02s are the ones that seem to have the most mileage shortfalls..... :-k