Boiling Coolant / Oil in Radiator / Moaning Steering Wheel 2003 KJ v6 Sport 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weapon_X

Reaction score
Okay, first off, long time reader, first time poster. Thank you guys so much over the past 8 years since I owned my KJ. Helped me out immensely and saved me so much cash.

So here's the deal, I am parting ways with my Liberty 2003 and moving to a Grand Cherokee 2014 or 2015. But the KJ has had some issues and I can’t seem to get this off my mind, so at your earliest convenience for anyone with some knowledge on this, I have a few questions.

I’d like to trade in the KJ and use that as additional leverage when haggling the price. But there’s issues with Liberty.

1.) Steering wheel now makes a moaning noise badly whenever I turn it, either way. Like it’s struggling (still turns the wheels relatively easy though). This is probably the power steering pump, correct? That's a quick fix as I've read, $70 - $120 for the part and free if me and my mechanic friend do it.

2.) This is the bad one. I am almost positive it’s a cracked head. Two years ago, I replaced the radiator and found a bit of oil in the coolant when draining it. We flushed it, and it ran pretty well for about a year. January 2016 my crankshaft cracked, got that replaced, and we noticed oil in the coolant again. Flushed it three times till it was clear. It ran alright till this past winter. I stopped driving it much because the heat stopped blowing even warm air. But now that it’s getting warmer again, I started driving it and the temp gauge is getting hotter and hotter now. I continually put coolant in and it's gone from the reservoir within a day. Exhaust at first start of engine is white, cloudy for a few minutes. Positive this thing is just burning the coolant right out. Yesterday by the time i made my 45 minute commute home, my temp was 3/4’s from the cold, almost redline hot. I immediately pulled in the garage popped the hood and the coolant is bubbling in the reservior....soooo, my question is this.

Should I even bother trying to ‘fix’ this so I can use it as a trade-in? Blue book is between 1100 to 2700 for it, 170k miles. But last time I traded my Nissan Altima for the KJ, it was worth about the same (1-2 grand) but they gave me 4k in trade because they couldn’t take off the sticker price of the KJ. I just want to get the KJ to point where it’s not overheating. Temporary fix, just so I can give it to them, they go ‘okay, looks good’. Doesn’t need to last more than a month, plan to buy at beginning of May. You guys think it’s worth it? I just don’t want to spend more money than the damn thing is worth since I’m getting rid of it in a month. Thank you in advance, will miss you now that I'll be heading over the Grand Cherokee forum.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, first off, long time reader, first time poster. Thank you guys so much over the past 8 years since I owned my KJ. Helped me out immensely and saved me so much cash.

So here's the deal, I am parting ways with my Liberty 2003 and moving to a Grand Cherokee 2014 or 2015. But the KJ has had some issues and I can’t seem to get this off my mind, so at your earliest convenience for anyone with some knowledge on this, I have a few questions.

I’d like to trade in the KJ and use that as additional leverage when haggling the price. But there’s issues with Liberty.

1.) Steering wheel now makes a moaning noise badly whenever I turn it, either way. Like it’s struggling (still turns the wheels relatively easy though). This is probably the power steering pump, correct? That's a quick fix as I've read, $70 - $120 for the part and free if me and my mechanic friend do it.

2.) This is the bad one. I am almost positive it’s a cracked head. Two years ago, I replaced the radiator and found a bit of oil in the coolant when draining it. We flushed it, and it ran pretty well for about a year. January 2016 my crankshaft cracked, got that replaced, and we noticed oil in the coolant again. Flushed it three times till it was clear. It ran alright till this past winter. I stopped driving it much because the heat stopped blowing even warm air. But now that it’s getting warmer again, I started driving it and the temp gauge is getting hotter and hotter now. I continually put coolant in and it's gone from the reservoir within a day. Exhaust at first start of engine is white, cloudy for a few minutes. Positive this thing is just burning the coolant right out. Yesterday by the time i made my 45 minute commute home, my temp was 3/4’s from the cold, almost redline hot. I immediately pulled in the garage popped the hood and the coolant is bubbling in the reservior....soooo, my question is this.

Should I even bother trying to ‘fix’ this so I can use it as a trade-in? Blue book is between 1100 to 2700 for it, 170k miles. But last time I traded my Nissan Altima for the KJ, it was worth about the same (1-2 grand) but they gave me 4k in trade because they couldn’t take off the sticker price of the KJ. I just want to get the KJ to point where it’s not overheating. Temporary fix, just so I can give it to them, they go ‘okay, looks good’. Doesn’t need to last more than a month, plan to buy at beginning of May. You guys think it’s worth it? I just don’t want to spend more money than the damn thing is worth since I’m getting rid of it in a month. Thank you in advance, will miss you now that I'll be heading over the Grand Cherokee forum.

In reading the highlighted area that you wrote, it sounds like you have major serious issues and are looking for help on how to hide them to fool the dealer on a trade-in and hide the problems that sound serious.

To me, that would be like commiting a fraud on the dealer wouldn't it? I don't think that is right and I don't think it is the right thing to do, or to help you to do this..

Dave

Weapon_X

Reaction score
I apologize wholeheartedly. I was just going off what my salesman told me when I purchased my KJ. I told them while they were inspecting my Altima that the odometer stopped working about 4k miles ago and he pulled me aside and said lesson for the future, never tell them what's wrong with the vehicle. If the appraiser doesn't notice anything wrong with the vehicle, that is not your fault. That it's their job to look at it. Not saying this right, and I initially tried to do the right thing and the dealership themselves told me not to do that. I just had the impression that this was what you are supposed to do.

That being said, can I rephrase my original question? I just want to know is this even worth the headache to fix completely (as in diagnosing the head leak, replacing the head gasket, flush costs, possible labor costs, etc.)? Are we talking thousands of dollars to replace these parts and fix it?? At a bare minimum how much am I look at actually getting for this car if I fix it at whole? Am I going to be sinking in more money than this car is actually worth? Or should I just sell it for scraps at this point? There are no external leaks. Haven't been in years.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Having not seen the KJ, nor heard it run , and just going from what you posted. I'd sell it as is with some issues. There are people that are buying them now, repairing them and flipping them. If you have to pay someone to do all of the work, then you'll be into for more than its worth.
Trade in with that condition you'd actually be paying them to take it off your hands. They may tell you they are giving you 2000 but in reality they just jacked the price up on the one you're buying.
List it on Craigslist

Weapon_X

Reaction score
I'd sell it as is with some issues.
List it on Craigslist

Awesome, thank you so much. That's all I needed to hear. I've been in tunnel vision on getting this on trade-in, but you're right. They're just jacking up the overall cost of the car I'm purchasing. Will post a listing on Craigslist and see what offers I get. Thank you!!

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here certain dealerships have a push, pull, or drag, $2500 trade-in. As long as you make sure they don't increase the sale price of the lot car to compensate, it can be a good deal for some.

Otherwise, I'd side with Tom and sell it as-is as a DIY repair vehicle. You'd have a clearer conscience and likely come out with more cash saved.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bottom of the black book for a 4wd 03 sport with 170 is about 1100. If it's in decent shape other than the motor you could probably sell it on craigslist or whatever and get 2k for it.

we only did push pull drag 2500 trade in's on new vehicle sales, it was a manufacturer dealer cash option. and you got an extra 1500 on top of that if it was a chrysler jeep dodge vehicle during may, june, november and december. we'd be here all night if i went into explaining it more than that plus its probably off topic anyway

it really depends on the origin of the vehicle you're buying whether or not its got a good bit of fudge in the price. i hated having preowned jeeps on the lot that were 1-2 yrs old with 20-30kmi. if they were lease returns or dissatisfied trade in's they were always so upside down on the vehicle due to having not properly completed the lease, or a lack of rdp when the deal was done they'ed hit the lot at such a flux disadvantage that i could usually find a way to sell someone a brand new vehicle for a grand less. I can picture the stupid JGC right now too, it was pale blue had the running boards, hit the lot with a sticker of like .. 29.5 , ran the tab on it and at 29.5 i'd make about 180 bucks. which meant there was no margin in it, at all, total dumptruck. had a brand new one about 50 feet away, msrp, 32.5 , for all intents and purps, exact same vehicle. after dealer cash, would roll for 28. lol.. i finally got rid of that 29.5 jgc after about 6 months, it ended up going to katskinz for leather seats, sold for 31.8 i wrote off my commission which included the profit cut from the aftermarket install (sale + aftermarket cut was about 510 bucks) so there'd be enough cash going to the lender to satisfy the down payment requirement just to get the thing off the lot

Last edited: