8.25" Ring gear question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do all 8.25" ring gears have the same bolt pattern? ie, I want to change the gearing on my '05 (29 spline) with a ring and pinion set thats listed as being for a 27 spline. I know the yoke needs to change due to the splines on the "new" pinion, but can I bolt the "27 spline" ring gear to the 29 spline carrier? I'm not wanting to change the axles at all, merely the ring and pinion. Thanks for any help.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but what is your end goal why don't you get the 29 spline gear?

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking into a possible engine/trans swap next winter, and I want to know all my options for the rear diff.

ETA- the ratio I want isn't available in 29 spline

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8.25" pinion is 27 spline.

The 8.25" axle spline changed from 27 to 29 around '96.

More importantly, find out if its okay to use 3/8" ring gear bolts in a carrier that's made to use 10mm bolts. ('05+).

EDIT: Some of Nitro's ring gears have both SAE and metric bolt holes.

Last edited:

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8.25" pinion is 27 spline.

Ok, I was thinking they were either all27 or all 29.

More importantly, find out if its okay to use 3/8" ring gear bolts in a carrier that's made to use 10mm bolts. ('05+).

Not sure if that's sarcasm, but based on your edit I'm guessing no. I can't imagine the holes would be threaded, so it would basically be a clearance issue. I've never torn down a differential before, so forgive my ignorance, but is it only the bolts holding the ring gear in alignment? If so I could see there being a slight difference in hole diameters.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're smooth unthreaded holes, but slightly bigger. I don't know it its a real-world problem or not.