I cured my cold morning tic tic tic!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I belive I have found the problem with the cold morning tic that goes away after the motor warms up some.
Heres how I discovered it. I've had my 05 liberty 3.7 sence the 1st of November. All was fine until the first Simi cool morning. That's when I herd it.. tic tic tic tic. But it went away after a minute or so. Then on morning her lately below freezing the tic would last longer. But it was wierder. It would start off kind of quit. tic,tic then gradually the TIC would get louder. Then it would just stop. Then in about 30 sec it would repeat. Soft tic that grew to a load TIC then it would just stop again.it would do this till the engine temp got over 125 then it was gone Untill the motor was cold again. I did some reading. And just about everything I read said worn lash adjusters. Well I did what most do I tried the cure in the bottles. No luck. So I changed the oil and just decided to live with it. A couple of weeks after the oil change while fueling I checked my oil. It was about a 1/4 inch over the full mark. So I went home and drained about a quart out. Couldn't check it afterward do to my driveway is inclined.
Here we go. The next morning 14 degrees out side. Cranked it up. NO TIC SOUND WHAT SO EVER. popped the hood and stood there. Absolutely no tic! Got to work parked it on level surface. Waited a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Checked the oil. I had drained it down to the add line. But why no tic. Was it a fluke? It sat for 10 hrs in below freezing temps while at work. Cranked it up. Guess what no tic[emoji1]. Drove it home next morning. No tic! Got to work check oil level still sitting at the add mark. So I did added almost a quart. Brought it up to the full mark. Not past it, not below it. Again it sat at work below freezing for 10 hrs. Cranked it up. Tic tic tic tic tic tic tic. Really! Next morning tic tic tic tic tic. Same at end of day start up tic tic tic tic. Went home drained the quart back out. Next morning. No tic. After work NO TIC. so I experimented. Added a quarter qt next morning. No tic. Added another quarter qt. A little tic but barely noticeable. Added another quarter qt there it was tic tic tic that came and went until warmed up. Drained out a half of a qt. Tic is gone and hasn't come back.
My guess is when cold and yes I am running full mobil 1 synthetic. That when cold and at full oil the crank is splashing the oil causing air bubbles. These air bubbles stay suspended in the cold oil and the oil pump picks them up and sends them up top. When the hit the lash adjusters they starve them for oil for alittle while making the tic tic sound. By the time it the motor runs for a few minutes the crank is no longer splashing oil so mystic went away. Then as the oil flowed back into the pan the crank started splashing the oil causing bubbles and the whole thing repeated Untill the oil was warm enough to not alow the bubbles to stay formed. So when it is warm out side the oil bubbles can't form to cause the tic. So by lowering the oil level I have stopped the oil from cavitating and creating bubbles when cold. So I guess in the winter months I'll keep it 3/4 of a qt low them top it off in the spring

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the experiment because this has been driving me nuts for a few years. I have listened everywhere, concluding it was from the oil pan area, not the engine, and was really tired of having the ticking sound every cold morning...besides making the motor sound like it's about ready to drop a valve spring retainer.