How to: Remove the automatic shift knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
Tools need:

A flathead screwdriver, putty knife, utility knife or any tool with a flat tip.

1) To begin, apply the emergency break and move the shifter into neutral or drive. (the key must be turned to the "on" position but engine not running)

2) Next turn the bottom chrome piece of the shift a little less than 1/8 of a turn.
You must be registered for see images

3) Insert a flathead screw driver, putty knife or whatever thin bladed tool you have between the bottom chrome piece and the rubber center portion.

4) wiggle the tool up and down to seperate the bottom chrome piece. It should pop off, if it does not try turning the bottom chrome piece the other way and try again.

5) grasp the shift knob with both hands and pull straight up. Be careful not to have your face above the shift knob during this step as the shift knob is a bit tight and you might end up knocking yourself out.

To install:

Slide the bottom chrome piece, then the shift knob over the shifter shaft and rotate until the flat parts of the shaft fit into the groves up in the top part of the shift knob. You should feel it sink down a little.

While pressing down on the shift knob, push up on the bottom chrome piece.

When fully seated turn the bottom chrome piece about 1/8 of a turn and your done.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to find a cool replacement of my auto shift knob, but there's only one I can find that supports the OD button. I'm getting ready to make one myself.

EagleOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there different shifter knobs that work with the OD Button?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.