Renegade Lightbar, Dash Indicators with a twist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the Renegade Lightbar installed on my Liberty today and it came out pretty good and was fairly straight forward. I think it adds a lot to the truck:

You must be registered for see images attach

Well those of you that have installed the lightbar know that they give you a led to put on the dash instead of utilizing the telltale in the cluster, that just wont do so this is what I did.:

First I bought these cheap led's at the local auto parts store for 5 dollars:

Then Took the dash apart to get the Cluster out:

Then I took the cluster apart:

I carefully pulled back the lens and stuck the LED in the area behing the rooflight light and ran the wire out the side (it is flat enough to not matter) I also decided that I would do this for my Mopar Fog Lights also.

Then I reinstalled the cluster

When I hooked up the light bar I cut out the Led they sent and wired it to the previously installed LED. Then on the Fog light LED I grounded the black wire from the LED and hooked the red one to the tan/white wire that I ran to the fog light switch when I installed them.

I think they turned out looking good:

I am going to install some bumper lights and use the DRL indicator for them so I went ahead and ran an LED to it to.

Now for the problem: When I cut the headlights on the fog light indicator comes on but when I cut the fog lights on the indicator cuts off anyone have any idea on haw I can fix this???????? I have tried everything I can think of sad2.gif sad2.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One possible problem is when the fogs come on the KJ from the factory they cut off when high beams are turned on,and not having the correct fog switch(the OEM one)could be at fault also,miss matching signals.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good. hey do me a favor if you will, and see if you think your mpg suffers some after adding your light bar. mine seems to have went down a bit. im sure it does effect it as it is more resistance. just curious.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG's

My mileage went down by 0.2 mpg after installing the lightbar and Renegade basket. The wind noise has gone up quite a bit.

But the few times I've actually needed (I use it more than I NEED to), has made it worth every penny.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One possible problem is when the fogs come on the KJ from the factory they cut off when high beams are turned on,and not having the correct fog switch(the OEM one)could be at fault also,miss matching signals.

Well I did buy the Mopar fog light kit with the new combination switch and all so I dont think it is that. It also makes no difference if the Hi beams are on or off.

I even tried running the hot wire from the led straight to the hot wire on the left foglight and I get the same results when the fog lights are off the indecator comes on, when the fog lights are on the indicator cuts off. :confused:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you do with the ground on the LED(where did you ground it)? If you run the - and + to power from that LED it has no choice but to come on when you put power on it. Something is wired up backwards there.

Are you 100% sure thats the DRL indicator? Looks like a rear fog light indicator to me. The overseas libertys have rear fogs.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you do with the ground on the LED(where did you ground it)? If you run the - and + to power from that LED it has no choice but to come on when you put power on it. Something is wired up backwards there.

Are you 100% sure thats the DRL indicator? Looks like a rear fog light indicator to me. The overseas libertys have rear fogs.

I grounded the LED to a bolt on the steering colum (I check to make sure it is a good ground) The indicator comes on when the headlight switch is turned on but cuts off as soon as you pull out the fog switch. So I am not sure how something could be wired up backwards???

Your right that prob is the rear fog light indicator, I just assumed it was the DRL indicator but thought it looked wrong. But I do know this there is no DRL indicator in the dash then :)

When you say "If you run the - and + to power from that LED it has no choice but to come on when you put power on it." do you mean that I should hook the + and - to the fog light +switch wire?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say "If you run the - and + to power from that LED it has no choice but to come on when you put power on it." do you mean that I should hook the + and - to the fog light +switch wire?

No. :)

Im saying if the - on the led is grounded and the + is hooked up to a + source that gets power when the fog lights come on then the led must come on. Evidently youve got the + wire hooked up to a source that is turned on when the headlights are turned on but is turned off when the fog lights are turned on. Use a volt meter to verify this and hook the + to something that is turned on when the fog lights are turned on. Make sense?:)

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. :)

Im saying if the - on the led is grounded and the + is hooked up to a + source that gets power when the fog lights come on then the led must come on. Evidently youve got the + wire hooked up to a source that is turned on when the headlights are turned on but is turned off when the fog lights are turned on. Use a volt meter to verify this and hook the + to something that is turned on when the fog lights are turned on. Make sense?:)

Yeah that makes sence (guess I'll break my meter out) but I though you were crazy when I thought you wanted me to hook the pos and neg to power :D

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light indicator below (Right side) of the fog lamp indicator on the Cluster. What lights is that for?

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear Fog Lamps.... in export KJs. If you ever take your tail light off, you'll see where the rear fog lamp bulb is "supposed" to go.

Now that you mentioned that I do remember seeing that spot for it. I noticed it when I hadda replace a tail light a few weeks ago. I wonder why the US KJ doesn't have them.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I believe they are illegal.
Saying that Rear Fog Lamps are illegal is no different than saying that side turn signal indicators are illegal.

Federal motor vehicle regulations just don't require them here, like the European regulations do. Jaguar, Land Rover and Audi, for example, equip their cars with rear fog lamps for US Spec cars and YES they do work. They include bulbs and wiring. Personally I don't understand why they're not required here (both Rear fogs and side indicators) as they're really helpful.

American automakers think backwards sometimes. So what if it's not required... if you're gonna sell something globally why not make a model that conforms to all specs instead of making a separate version for each country. I'd think you'd be able to save a few bucks because of consolidated costs...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.