What disengages when you stop? (powertrain)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aksloan

Reaction score
I've read all the clunk threads and can't seem to figure out what exactly disengages in or to the rear axle when the vehicle is almost at a complete stop that makes the clunk sound. What also is confounding is there seems to be as many Libby's that don't make the sound as there are those that do. One would have to think that something needs tightening or an additive of some kind to the diff fluid to stop or ease the clunk. (I don't have Trac-Lok) I've changed all the fluids and even put in the thicker 75w-140 in the rear which didn't help. Any advice would be appreciated.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah my 04 does that exact same thing. It drives me crazy:mad:but I just adjusted my driving habits/style, and don't get it too much lately.

I get the clunk when crawling at 1-2 mph as I am about to stop for a stop sign. Its then that I want to accellerate from the stop sign that it feels like the transmission is still down-shifting. I try to go, but it pauses then CLUNK!

I usually drive in city traffic with the o/d button off. It seems to help. If I left the o/d on, I'm sure something is gonna break if I keep doing that clunk from accelleration thing.

Like I said it drives me nutz(banghead). My dealer told me I should re-program the ****** computer. I might try that now that I have bigger tires.

Last edited:

aksloan

Reaction score
I usually drive in city traffic with the o/d button off. It seems to help. If I left the o/d on, I'm sure something is gonna break if I keep doing that clunk from accelleration thing.

Like I said it drives me nutz(banghead). My dealer told me I should re-program the ****** computer. I might try that now that I have bigger tires.

It drives me frigging nutz too!

I'll try turning the o/d off and see if that helps. Let me know if the reprogramming the ****** computer helps.

aksloan

Reaction score
Nothing is dis-engaging. Its just slack in the tcase/****** and in the rear drive-shaft. :)

Can you remove the slack or lessen the severity of it?

Also, will this slack eventually lead to failure in the drivetrain somewhere?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't know of any way to adjust/decrease the amount of slack, and I've yet to hear of any problems being tied to it. As with so many other idiosyncrasies, just tell yourself 'It's a Jeep thing...' :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Some people grease the splines where the drive-line goes into the tcase and say it helps.

Thats the way its designed, of course its not going to hurt it.

aksloan

Reaction score
Some people grease the splines where the drive-line goes into the tcase and say it helps.

Just took a quick 6 mile round trip around town with o/d off .... no clunks! :confused: Definite difference though in shifting and running higher rpms than with o/d on.

Also did a quick google search on greasing the splines and many say that solved the problem. They say when the drive shaft is not sliding smoothly on the output shaft you will get a clunk when stopping.

Now the question is how does one grease the splines. Is it a hard thing to do?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
It must be in the ******, thats the only conclusion I can come up with. It does make a diffrence though.

I had an '86 Firebird that was something similar. I put it into the first drive which was the o/d (then d 2 1) and the car wouldn't move. All I could hear was grinding rotating noise from the ******. If I put it into the d, then it would drive away just fine. There were a set of extra clutches in those 700R trannys, and thats what was gone in my car. So I am assuming these Jeep trannys are of a similar design. Thats probably the diffrence between the 2 versions for the KJ. Chrysler has a history of doing that with their trannys.

Pulling the driveshaft isn't a big deal. Just block the wheels when you jack it up. 4 bolts at the rear end yoke and pull the driveshaft out of the transmission tailshaft. It should be quite easy, but you might wanna do some more reading first.

Just be careful of the u-joints, make sure the round caps don't come off, they are full of little needle bearings.
Check the splines to see if there is anything to make note of(when re-)installing) lube the splines and reverse procedure.

Take it to a shop if you are unsure though. For a few bucks they would charge, it could pay in the end.

Last edited:

aksloan

Reaction score
It must be in the ******, thats the only conclusion I can come up with. It does make a diffrence though.

Well after driving last night and doing a lot of running around this morning with o/d off I went out this evening to dinner and forgot to turn the o/d off ... guess what? .... I did a 20 mile round trip city driving and it did not clunk once. After I realized the o/d was on I tried to make it clunk and could not get it to do it.

I'll follow up after driving it for a week and let you know if it is a comes and goes issue or if a pattern can be determined.

After that I'll try to figure out the DC ****** whine! :D

Pablo

Reaction score
Don't know of any way to adjust/decrease the amount of slack, and I've yet to hear of any problems being tied to it. As with so many other idiosyncrasies, just tell yourself 'It's a Jeep thing...' :)

The more slack the better. To increase the amount of slack, first get in touch with your inner yeti.

aksloan

Reaction score
Follow up to the original post:

For the first two days I drove with o/d off and then on until such time I could hear the clunk come back. When it did I would turn off o/d off and drive awhile and then try it again with o/d on. As of yesterday I have not heard the clunk with o/d on under any circumstances.

Truly confusing :confused: but I guess that when o/d is off some part of the ******/transfer-case is being used that normally wasn't thus relaxing the condition with use.

I'll try to find another KJ site and see if anyone can make sense of this and report back. It would be really cool to find a site with some DC mechanics on it who may have actually dealt with this in their everyday life at the dealership.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.