Air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket colad air intake for the CRDs? If not, what air filter is everyone using?

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't looked under the hood have you, it's in there already. It's not restrictive though it can let a bit of rain in.

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opened the air box to check the filter but that was it. Thanks for the info

Pablo

Reaction score
It is already pulling air from the front of the vehicle right by the headlight. You can't get any colder than that unless you want to air condition your intake. Besides that, it goes into the hot turbo and then to the innercooler-- so a CAI on a turbo with a innercooler is not a cost effective performance gain at all. Have you replaced the muffler, or are you still stock? That would be a better use of $.

As for a filter, I am using the amsoil EAA filter in the stock box. Better filtration than the paper filters, better flowrate as well.

Last edited:

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pablo,

Still stock. I want to get an AFE filter to replace the stock one. Had good results with the AFE filters with my F250. I do want to replace the stock exhaust/muffler with an aftermarket one for better breathing.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's taking in cold air but it's restrictive. I just put an Air Flow Snorkel onto my CRD so it now breathes cooler air easier. I am currently tracking fuel economy and will reprort back after my test tank is empty.

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JL,

What was the cost for that setup? Also can you post pics of it?

Thanks,
Mike

Pablo

Reaction score
For the snorkel, I paid $375, but that was introductory prices. You can get it a DPG offroad. One day I will put it on. Interested to hear what your mileage gain was.

Oh and if you want to solve the restriction, just drill a few more holes in the intake box.

ciberbosco

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket colad air intake for the CRDs? If not, what air filter is everyone using?

I know AEM used to make one, but has since discontinued production. You may be able to still find one.

I just finished making my own custom intake out of 3" diameter components:

You must be registered for see images attach

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite e few companies played with the intake, none could get an improvement worth the production costs.
Lots of earlier posts back about 2 years ago on this.
Turbos take the amount of air they need no matter what, it's no way the same as the gas intake. If it doesn't get what it needs a turbo will suck the hoses closed just like your house vacuum cleaner would.
AEV publically came out on one of the sites and stated they couldn't improve the system over stock that would improve HP or mileage. They said you'd really have to massage the engine for them to be able to improve on stock.

Pablo

Reaction score
Ahum....the snorkel will kill aerodynamics so do not expect any MPG gain, it will most likely use more fuel then less.

Drill holes in the airbox? So you can let more water in? :eek: Makes the snorkel useless!

Those who have the snorkel installed report a slight gain or no gain. I will see when I get mine installed. The thing already has the aero profile of a brick and most of the snorkel sits tight against the frame in the slipstream, so I can't imagine it adding much to the aero profile. It would be less than the renegade roof lights and they have not lowered my mileage at all.

Drilling holes in the airbox is obviously not something you would do with the snorkel but with the stock set up.

Nursecosmo

Reaction score
Quite e few companies played with the intake, none could get an improvement worth the production costs.
Lots of earlier posts back about 2 years ago on this.
Turbos take the amount of air they need no matter what, it's no way the same as the gas intake. If it doesn't get what it needs a turbo will suck the hoses closed just like your house vacuum cleaner would.
AEV publically came out on one of the sites and stated they couldn't improve the system over stock that would improve HP or mileage. They said you'd really have to massage the engine for them to be able to improve on stock.

While a moderate increase in restriction of the air filter will affect mileage to a certain extent because it causes the turbine run at a lower RPM and work harder to achieve and maintain boost, as well as raising back pressure. most turbocharged vehicles will not see a drop in mileage if filters are changed as recommended.

The restriction that we have with our airboxes is very minimal and any modification to the intake is pointless so thank you for having the cojones to say it. I have argued this point before on LOST. It is hard to get some folks to accept the laws of physics so I think that your argument may be lost to many of the modification-hounds though.

This applies of course to a CRD with stock fueling only.

rogerd

Reaction score
"Tell him he's dreaming" - Agree that Snorkels are a waste of money, as over the life of the vehicle having that thing hanging out there negates any mpg benefit that breathing better may yield (not to mention what it cost($) you to do, and the extensive fender cutting that is required to mount the thing); now having said that they do have a place if you are regularly crossing deep water but unless you live on the Old Telegraph Track in North Queensland Australia that is unlikely for 99.9% of KJ owners.

mrkake

Reaction score
I did the '02 airbox mod with the little snorkel on it and saw absolutely no difference over a 6 month period. I can see how it would be beneficial if you live in an area that gets ALOT of rain to keep the filter media dry, but that's not a problem in Vegas. :D Another member wanted to try it so I put my stock one back in and sold it to him for what I paid for it. That's my two cents on the subject.