Woot Woot.. Master of the Flow..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got R Done this morning. Its a tad louder than I thought it would be. Its the FlowMaster 50 SUV series for those that do not know. Its currently clamped on since I do not have a welder nor do I know anyone that can do a decent job on it. It has a small leak on the exit pipe of the muffler. The pipe on the Jeep curved up almost as soon as it came out of the stock muffler so it makes a gap at the bottom of the pipe. It also is smaller than 2.5in. The intake pipe fit great so it must be a true 2.5in pipe, but idk what happened on the exit pipe... Its just a tad smaller than 2.5in.

Either way, I love it so far. Took it for a small drive to get some vids and you can definitively hear it from the inside. I could barely hear it when cruising along at 60mph so thats great, but as soon as you gave it some gas to speed up or go up a hill, you could hear it even if it stayed locked in 4th. Unlocking the torque or kicking down into 3rd really wakes it up. :D

Pics and vids to come. It will take alittle while to get all the vids up..

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Took around 10sec to get it off with a sawzall..

I will try to find someone to weld it on when I get back to take summer school. The town my college is in is alittle bigger so hopefully they will have places that do that. I do not believe that little leak will make it any louder. I got under it and had my mom rev it up to around 2500-3k rpms and I could barely feel anything coming out around the pipe..

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most importantly, did you start up the 3.7L to figure out what it sounds like with no muffler???? :D :D :D :D

YES!! Good lord it sounded awesome! I wouldnt mind a bit to just straight pipe it! :D:D:D:D:D

Got vids of everything..

Price was $103 shipped from summit. Paid $12 for 1ft of pipe and 3clamps from Advanced auto.. Not to sure how much it will cost to get it welded.. Obviously I put it in myself.. So no labor for that..

Last edited:

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got R Done this morning. Its a tad louder than I thought it would be...
I was the same way with my FM 40, louder than I thought is was going to be. The guy at the muffler shop said the same thing, "wow, I didn't think it was going to be that loud." He said he put them on 4.0L all the time but mine was the first Liberty that he had done. There are some days I wish I had gotten the 50 but I like the 40 for the most part. It's fun sitting at a light and watching people look over, especially if it's someone in another KJ.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Random pics of my underbody.. Tis clean..

The leak:

You can see where the clamp pinched it some and how the pipe makes a gap since it turns up. I turned the clamp over(already done that in the pic) and tightened it down fairly tight. It didnt leak near as much but I could feel alittle come out when it was reved up.. It will be ok for alittle while..

Ohh, did I say it smells like cookies?!?! Love that smell..

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock Exhaust, starting:

More later, going to wash it(doesnt really need it).. haha.. I cant stop..

Stock inside, 3500rpms(0-45mph or so):

NO MUFFLER!!!:

Flowmaster startup:

Pulling out:

Second attempt to pull out:

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No welding? Did you have the cut the stock one off or does it just unscrew off? I thought it was disconnecting at those lips, but they are off as well.
Today I went to muffler shop. I was quoted $400 for INSTALLATION ONLY of double flowmasters to make a dual exhaust plus cost of flows and pipes.. I said OK and left there.

So will it be OK for you to drive around with clamps on only?
Can't wait to see more pictures and video.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No welding? Did you have the cut the stock one off or does it just unscrew off? I thought it was disconnecting at those lips, but they are off as well.
Today I went to muffler shop. I was quoted $400 for INSTALLATION ONLY of double flowmasters to make a dual exhaust plus cost of flows and pipes.. I said OK and left there.

So will it be OK for you to drive around with clamps on only?
Can't wait to see more pictures and video.

Hate to say it, but read over what Ive said so far. :)

Yes, I cut it all off.. No, not found anyone that knows how to weld yet.. I cut it all off since it reduces right before the connector you were talking about. I had to cut it off right after the muffler since its one piece from the muffler out the back.. READ BUDDY! :rolleyes:

I gave a final price also. ;)

Its just fine to use clamps. Many vehicles come stock with just the clamps. I know our 1994 Grand has those.. They can leak some(Like mine are) so its always better to weld.. I need to take a class at school on welding and buy me a welder so I can do all this myself..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
timmer, I think you CAN EAT UNDER THERE. :D

Hmm... I thought it would be much more louder than it is with no muffler. I'm almost disappointed?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't go offroad,one snag and that sucker will get ripped off.Better hurry to get it welded.It shouldn't be hard to get it welded for next to nothing,know anybody that has a welder? I don't know alot of poeple around the Colorado area but it wouldn't take but a hour to get someone to weld it for a case of beer.Heck if you pay for the gas I'll come out and weld it up,it would only take about 10 min max(I would have to make a quick stop in SD to get my welder).

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, thanks for the offer tjkj, but I think I could buy a welder and learn how to weld for the price of gas to get you out here.. :)

Ill try my best to get it welded.. I know some people that SAY they can weld, but Ive seen their work.. Ill wait till I can get into a bigger town and see how much a known muffler shop would want..

Sorry for the disappointment marlon, it was fairly loud and I would never want an exhaust that loud for very long. Would be cool to make a cut out so you could straight pipe it with the flick of a switch. I cannot for the life of me remember what those are called.

Donnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, not to be a dick but it sounds like an import. I just don't think a 3.7 should have a flowmaster.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds awesome! I'm going to be putting a Flowmaster 50 on soon. Shouldn't there be a cat to the front of the muffler...or is that only on a 2002? If so, can I cut mine off when I install the Flowmaster?

Latest posts

Members online