something weird happened with the KJ tonight........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosliw

Reaction score
so i go up to a friend tonight, went to leave, and the lights wouldn't work. neither would the dash lights. the radio still worked, though.

on my drive home, i noticed the speedometer didn't work. also, the wiper motor, both from and rear, quit working. still shot fluid though (almost made me crash, LOL)

i pull into my driveway, let the engine idle for a few seconds before i shut it off, and in those few seconds the idle started getting pretty ruff. like it was misfiring. then the good 'ol outline of an engine popped up. CHECK ENGINE, or SERVICE ENGINE SOON symbol, i suppose.

it's out of warrenty, so i'm on my own with this one (beside you fellas, of course)

any ideas/tips/hints/suggestions before i try to limp it over to Schucks to read codes?

thanks a million,
alex

edit-

2002 kj
4x4
sport
v6/automatic
stock as the day she came (besides new deck)

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like a body control module problem, since it controls all the stuff you mentioned.

Bennett

2003KJ

Reaction score
Almost positive its the BCM. I've heard of several different 2002 model KJ's had their go out with the exact same symptoms. The CEL probably came on b/c the computer was not getting a signal from one or more sensors that it needed to get a signal from (due to the BCM going out) and the computer flipped out.

nosliw

Reaction score
so is this a snap-out, snap-in kind of fix? where do i get info on how to fix this?

thanks,
alex

ps i'll try that code thing in the morning

nosliw

Reaction score
come on guys, i can't find where it is or how to fix it. the car is driveable, but not really.

the first method of retrieving a code didnt do anything, but the second method worked. didn't give me a code though, just made the gauges dance.

has anyone replaced or fixed this BCM?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
it should be like a plug and play thing.....
i havnt heard or read of anyone replacing it out of warranty...
sorry...

nosliw

Reaction score
well where is it then? might be able to pick one up from a junkyard or dealer or something if i can get a part number off it...

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nosliw said:
come on guys, i can't find where it is or how to fix it. the car is driveable, but not really.

the first method of retrieving a code didnt do anything, but the second method worked. didn't give me a code though, just made the gauges dance.

has anyone replaced or fixed this BCM?
You must be registered for see images

Also, 2005KJ is right when he said the BCM controls your stuff that is not working.

nosliw

Reaction score
awesome, thanks for the diagram.

what should i look for? is there a fuse in there that might have popped, or do i have to replace the entire unit?

sorry for all the questions.

thanks,
alex

nosliw

Reaction score
no one on here has replaced one? sounds like it's common enough to warrent a nice little step-by-step in the HOW-TO section.

looks like i might have to remove the whole dash. the metal "body" of the dash kind of encloses the bcm.

maybe yous guys who have 02's can take a quick peek? if i take out the 2 screws holdin the fusepanel on i can kind of "push" it back, which in turn pushes the BCM back, making it a little more visable, but not nearly enough to get to the nuts and bolts of it.

HELP!!! [-o<

(Aeh)