Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > General Forums > Fabrication

Fabrication

Rear HD Control Arm Mounts + Adjustable Long Arms

This is a discussion on Rear HD Control Arm Mounts + Adjustable Long Arms within the Fabrication forums, part of the General Forums category!
I keep killing bushings in my rear control arms and tri-link. These things were just never meant for the amount ...

Post up DIY mods for the KJ and KK. Vendors please use the "Vendors" forum.

Like Tree14Likes
  • 8 Post By Myke
  • 1 Post By WickedBruce
  • 5 Post By Myke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear HD Control Arm Mounts + Adjustable Long Arms

I keep killing bushings in my rear control arms and tri-link. These things were just never meant for the amount of repetitive flex I put them through. I also want to have the rear ready to go for when I do the SFA swap as I will be replacing the c8.25 with a 1 ton axle (D60, Sterling 10.50, 14Bolt).

My main goals are to have a much flatter/straight travel arc for the rear axle with more lift and reliability/strength.

Today I started cutting out the frame side control arm mounts. Stock looks to be 1/8". I used 1/4" plate for these.

My first design was just a simple bracket.

I felt I could make it stronger and I also wanted it ramped so it can slide over an obstacle. So I ended up cutting these out. Considering I don't have a plasma cutter yet I feel these came out pretty sweet.

This is as far as I got before having to head into work. This next image I used paint to give you an idea for the rest of the mount design.

For the lower links I plan on using 2" .25" wall DOM tubing.

On the axle mount end I was going to use 1.25" heim joint from Ruff Stuff but for the price I can just run one of the joints below on both ends. The Metal Cloaks offer the most misalignment at 34 degrees per joint vs 30 degrees of the other two. I plan on running these over heims because they will be quieter and are rebuildable.

Compared to the kit JBA sells mine will be way stronger, allow more articulation, and will be quieter without the heims in it..

I may end up cutting off the axle mounts and moving them up so they don't sit below the axle but Idk if the extra effort and $ will be worth it since I don't plan on keeping the c8.25 for much longer. If I do move them I will still have sufficient vertical link separation because the mount I'm going to make for the upper links can just sit higher off the top of the differential.
  • '98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech
Myke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looks great, good job!
Myke likes this.
Full OME 927/948, JBA Top Plates, 3 Conduit Clevis, 2 Extra Upper Iso's, JBA UCA's, JBA Front Skid, JBA Engine Skid, MOPAR Transfer Skid, Kilby Gas Skid, 245/75/16 Duratracs, Cobra WXST2, 16x7 4"bs Cragar Soft 8's, RockLizard Front Bumper, Trimmed Rear Bumper, PIAA 004XT Fogs , PIAA 9007 Headlights, Warn M8000, ParkerFab Rock Sliders, Yukon 4.56 gears, D30S With ARB Air Locker, ARB CKMA12 Compressor

The only easy day was yesterday.
WickedBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Today I finished the assembly of the mounts. I just need to order the joints and tubing. Once I get home from work tonight I'll get them cleaned up and primed.

(ignore my ghetto muffler hanging down)

The width of the mount where the joint sits is 2.72" on one and 2.83" on the other. The specified mounting width of the 2.5" Johnny Joint is 2.82". The one is spot on but the other I will need to spread apart 0.1" if it's too tight on the joint.

Although the JJ is "the standard" for rod ends I think I am going to go with Duroflex joints as they how lower NVH levels. They are 2.62" wide so I may need to tack on a washer inside the mount.

Ran out of mig wire halfway through but luckily the welding supply store is right up the road. Went and picked up a 10lb spool of Lincoln wire.

Not sure on how long I'm going to make the lower links yet. I would like to open up the rear of the wheel well into the bumper to do a 4-5" stretch. Will need to look into how I can reinforce the back end and if it's doable without a cage yet. I may need to build a subframe or plate the unitbody frame.

For now I'm just going to order a 7' section of tubing. This will be plenty as I expect link length with no stretch to be in the ~38-40" range.

Once the joints and tubing are in I'll drill the mounts. The JJ use a 3/4" bolt and the Duroflex use 9/16" bolt.
  • '98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech
Myke is offline   Reply With Quote