Install a second compressor for air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question is simple:

Can I install a second AC compressor to produce compressed air?
If yes, I'd like to install it between the air box and the original air-conditioning compressor.

Your opinions ?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um... an A/C compressor doesn't work exactly the same...

Should be no reason why you can't install an electrical air compressor pump, however. Maybe not in that location, but hardwiring one into the vehicle systems wouldn't be difficult.. although I question the practicality when you can just plug it into a 12v outlet in the vehicle anyhow...

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something that's not really done much in the liberty world as most don't off road to that extreme(or even close to). Maybe TJKJ2002? I'm not sure if it can be done. Worth it though? IDK. If you do, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Bert

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anything is possible although it does take quite a bit of work.
I'm not TJKJ but will add my 2 cents anyways :icon_razz:
In the past I've built 4 with Sadan compressors, they put out about 7-9 CFM if set up correctly. One of the issues was they are lubricated by the freon, so you have to use some type of in line oiler like an in line air tool oiler.
Of course that also has to be replaced and checked on a regular basis , worked good for air tools though, of course like any air compressor, switches, lines to run etc , lots go into building one that works good.
Much easier to just buy an aftermarket air compressor in the long run so many out there any more to choose from anymore.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything is possible although it does take quite a bit of work.
I'm not TJKJ but will add my 2 cents anyways :icon_razz:
In the past I've built 4 with Sadan compressors, they put out about 7-9 CFM if set up correctly. One of the issues was they are lubricated by the freon, so you have to use some type of in line oiler like an in line air tool oiler.
Of course that also has to be replaced and checked on a regular basis , worked good for air tools though, of course like any air compressor, switches, lines to run etc , lots go into building one that works good.
Much easier to just buy an aftermarket air compressor in the long run so many out there any more to choose from anymore.

As I knew you would

:happy160:

Bert

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that an A/C compressor can put out that much volume of air.. never looked at the specs for that. I'd wonder about how much pressure they could generate outside of their intended purpose... and actual A/C system can get pretty high, so that may actualyl work (well).

It seems to me that you would be limiting yourself by installing a mechanical air pump instead of an electrical one, however. Say something happens and the engine is inoperable out in the trails (ran out of gas, drivebelt snapped and you didnt bring a spare, anything..), if you can't run the engine, you can't run your second air pump to inflate your tires to be towed out.

If the counter is that the other wheelers would have an air compressor you could use, then why install one in the first place? At least an electric air compressor can be connected to any 12v source and used that way.

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so in conclusion, it's better to have an electrical compressor.

Thank's for your help.

Latest posts

Members online